How should I divide MX$414,000 left after buying a Mexico City townhouse?

rhea_saves

First-time buyer
If buying at my limit leaves too little room for the first surprise, even a minor problem could force me to borrow. That is what worries me about a 5-bed Mexico City townhouse priced around MX$12,420,000.

I expect to retain about MX$414,000 once the deposit and estimated purchase costs are paid. The inspection is still pending, so the amount needed for repairs is unknown. Moving expenses, essential furnishings and the insurance excess also have to come from somewhere.

Would you reserve a fixed emergency fund first and allocate the remainder after the inspection, or would this balance make you reduce the purchase budget now?
 
I wouldn’t divide it into four equal pots. First ring-fence an emergency fund based on your monthly essential spending, including the mortgage and any service charges. Then reserve enough for moving and inspection-related priorities. Furniture comes last and can be bought room by room; a 5-bed place does not need to be fully furnished on day one.
 
A few missing numbers matter here: Is the first mortgage payment already covered separately? Does the townhouse have recurring service charges, and what insurance excess would you need to meet after a claim? I’d also wait for the inspection before assigning a repair amount. “Ordinary work” could mean jobs that are cosmetic, urgent or somewhere between the two.
 
I’d go further than my first reply: MX$414,000 is not a furniture budget plus a safety buffer. It is the safety buffer. Until the inspection is back, I would spend only what is necessary to move in and keep everything else liquid. If essential repairs would consume most of it, that supports either negotiating the price or choosing a cheaper property.
 
I agree on keeping cash back, but leaving five bedrooms completely empty can also lead to rushed, unplanned purchases later. A practical order might be: emergency reserve, first payment and known recurring charges, urgent inspection items, moving, then basic furniture for the rooms you will actually use. Make a second furniture list for six or twelve months later rather than treating the whole house as a move-in project.
 
That distinction helps. I was treating furniture and repairs as simultaneous costs when they do not have to be. I’ll calculate the reserve from my actual monthly essentials, confirm the first-payment timing, service charges and insurance excess, and wait for the inspection before committing the remainder. Moving and furnishing only the rooms I’ll use can be the next layer. If the protected reserve looks too thin after that, I’ll lower the purchase target rather than rationalise it.
 
Back
Top