First-time buyer in Mexico City: how much cash buffer after closing (3 bed)

ames.ford

First-time buyer
The people I’ve asked offline are split. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I’d have roughly MX$324,000 left if I buy the 3-bed serviced apartment I’m considering in Mexico City. The price is around MX$16,920,000.

The inspection report is long, although the apartment appears basically sound and most findings look like ordinary first-year work. I’m worried that moving, repairs, furniture, service charges, the insurance excess and the first mortgage payment could quickly consume the remaining cash.

How would you divide that buffer? I’d rather buy below my maximum than turn every minor problem into a financial emergency.
 
There are two reasonable approaches: hold most of the MX$324,000 untouched, or use some of it to make the apartment functional immediately. I’d take a narrow middle course.

Set aside the amount needed for essential monthly spending first. From the remainder, account for moving, the first mortgage payment, service charges, insurance costs and any urgent safety or water-related repairs identified by the inspection. Everything else, including furniture and cosmetic work, can be bought room by room once the first few bills show what the apartment actually costs to run.
 
Does the MX$324,000 figure already allow for the timing of the first mortgage payment and the next service-charge bill, or only the stated closing costs? Also, are you moving with usable furniture? Those two answers could change the picture more than the length of the inspection report.
 
I wouldn’t automatically choose a cheaper apartment merely because the report is long. Inspection reports often list minor items separately, which can make a sound place look alarming. Sort the findings into urgent, needed within a year and cosmetic. The stronger reason to lower the purchase ceiling would be if the urgent items plus fixed post-closing bills push your cash below the emergency amount you need.
 
Build a simple cash timeline rather than one general buffer. Put the closing date at the top, then list moving, mortgage, service charges and insurance by expected payment date. Add repair quotes only for genuinely immediate findings, plus a margin for uncertainty. Whatever remains after that is the emergency fund; furniture gets no allocation until the cash floor is protected. Confirm the charge dates and amounts with the lender, insurer and building administration rather than estimating them.
 
This helps. I was treating MX$324,000 as one reassuring number instead of several obligations arriving at different times. I’m going back through the estimate to confirm whether the first mortgage payment, service charges and insurance are fully included, then I’ll classify the inspection items by urgency and price the immediate ones. If that leaves too little untouched emergency cash, I’ll reduce my purchase ceiling rather than assume furniture and repairs can somehow fit.
 
Back
Top