Zurich townhouses: does a 98-day marketing period signal a change?

planTheSignal

Property investor
I would like to tell whether buyers are gaining leverage, but the saved listings do not yet give a clean answer. In February 2026, the Zurich townhouses I am following between CHF 538,600 and CHF 807,800 show a marketing period of about 98 days, with a noticeable divide between homes that move and homes that linger.

If the slower group is concentrated among properties needing work or sellers holding firm, I would treat it as listing-specific. If comparable new stock also begins to stall, that would suggest supply is changing. What would you track next: new-listing volume, tighter neighbourhood boundaries, price reductions or evidence of seller motivation?
 
I would assume property-level variation until completed sales support the wider interpretation. Asking prices and time advertised can mislead if listings are withdrawn, relaunched or deliberately held at an ambitious price. Compare recent completed sales with the active homes, then note when each seller first cut the price.
 
I would prefer to keep enough listings for a useful comparison, but broad Zurich boundaries may be creating the pattern. Townhouses with different transport access, immediate surroundings or renovation needs can behave like separate markets even when their asking prices overlap.

I would not discard the 98-day figure, though. Split the sample by a few tighter areas and by renovated versus work-required condition. If the delay disappears, the original grouping was the problem; if it remains across those smaller groups, then tracking new and withdrawn stock becomes more worthwhile.
 
I’m not sure completed sales alone will catch an early change; they reflect deals agreed earlier. New-listing volume and withdrawn stock may give a quicker indication of whether sellers are testing the market and then stepping back. Buyer financing could also make the upper end of your CHF range move differently. I’d track active, reduced, withdrawn and completed properties separately for another month rather than forcing one explanation now.
 
That’s fair, although one extra month may still be noisy with such a narrow group. Gabriel, record the original listing date as well as any relaunch date. If the slow homes cluster by condition or price-cut timing, it is probably listing-specific; if fresh comparable stock also stalls, the local-supply argument becomes stronger.
 
Back
Top