Would you waive inspection on an older Sydney studio to make the offer stronger?

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
We’ve lost two offers on older Sydney studios to buyers who offered fewer conditions. Our agent thinks a shorter inspection window could make us more competitive, but waiving inspection entirely feels reckless at A$843,600.

The visible condition is decent, though the building’s age and a possible insurance issue worry me. Is a pre-offer inspection or narrowly drafted structural contingency a sensible middle ground? I also don’t want immediate repairs to consume our emergency fund just as moving costs and the first mortgage payment arrive. If you’re answering from outside Australia, please mention what market difference shapes your view.
 
I’d shorten the window rather than remove it. Arrange an inspector who can attend quickly, and have your conveyancer confirm what a narrower condition would actually let you do. A condition that sounds protective in casual language may not work that way in the contract. Decide in advance which findings would make you walk away and which you would fund.
 
Is this a strata property, and what exactly is the possible insurance issue? An inspection of the studio may tell you little about shared parts of the building. I’d want to understand the building records, current service charges, insurance excess and any known major work before deciding that a clean-looking interior reduces the risk.
 
Pre-offer inspection is the obvious compromise, but there’s a downside: you could pay for several inspections and still keep losing. That may be worthwhile at this price, yet set a limit on how many times you’ll do it. I also wouldn’t treat a seller-provided report as automatically equivalent to commissioning your own; ask your adviser what reliance you can place on it.
 
I understand why the agent wants fewer conditions, but I would hesitate to conclude that inspections caused both rejected offers. Price, settlement date or another term may have decided them.

Ask for specific feedback, then use it to choose between a pre-offer inspection and a short, tightly limited inspection condition. For example, the condition could focus on serious defects or costly building issues rather than minor cosmetic findings. That is a workable compromise; waiving protection entirely would leave the repair cost and possible insurance excess uncapped.
 
Work backwards from cash after completion. Subtract moving costs, the first mortgage payment, the insurance excess you might realistically need to cover, and a reserve for immediate repairs. If that leaves the emergency fund too thin, waiving inspection is not just a property gamble—it creates a household cash-flow problem from day one.
 
Another middle ground is to delay furniture rather than reduce the repair reserve. A studio can be furnished gradually; a leak, electrical concern or urgent building contribution cannot always wait. Buyers often mentally include the furniture budget in the cost of moving, but it is one of the few flexible items here.
 
Could the inspector review likely high-cost areas first and provide the full written findings afterward? That might fit a short window, subject to what is practical and what your contract requires. I’d ask about access too. A fast deadline is useless if the relevant areas cannot be inspected or building information arrives after the condition expires.
 
I’d make a one-page offer plan before bidding again: maximum price, shortest inspection period your inspector and conveyancer can genuinely meet, defects that trigger withdrawal, repair amount you can absorb, and minimum cash remaining after completion. Also list unanswered insurance and service-charge questions. That prevents auction-like pressure from changing every limit at once.
 
For Sydney, I’d take the proposed wording to a local conveyancer before submitting anything. “Structural only” may sound reassuring while leaving disagreement over what counts as structural, especially when the concern could sit in shared parts rather than inside the studio. A pre-offer inspection plus building information and a firm cash reserve seems more balanced than a total waiver.
 
Back
Top