Would you waive inspection on an older Singapore villa?

QuietJournal

Homeowner
Founding Member
We’ve lost two offers on older villas in Singapore to buyers accepting fewer conditions. Our agent says shortening the inspection window could make us more competitive, but waiving it entirely feels reckless on a S$388,600 purchase.

The visible condition is decent, though the age of the property and possible service charges concern me. Would a pre-offer inspection or a contingency limited to serious structural findings be a sensible middle ground? I’m also trying not to forget moving costs and the first mortgage payment while budgeting for immediate repairs.
 
I would shorten the window before waiving inspection. A pre-offer inspection could work if the seller allows access and you can arrange it quickly. I’d also separate the physical condition from the service-charge question: if charges apply, what information can the seller or agent provide before you offer? A clean-looking property tells you nothing about future shared costs.
 
I’m less convinced by a structural-only contingency. Expensive trouble in an older home may involve water ingress, wiring or plumbing without fitting a narrow definition of “structural.” A pre-offer inspection also costs money before you know whether your bid will compete. How much emergency fund would remain after the deposit, moving costs and first payment?
 
That’s the tension. Furniture can wait, but moving costs and the first mortgage payment cannot, and I don’t want an inspection finding to wipe out the emergency fund immediately after completion. I’ll ask for clearer information on any service charges before deciding. I’m now leaning toward a short inspection period rather than limiting it only to structural issues.
 
That sounds more balanced. Before the next offer, list three categories: costs due regardless of condition, repairs that could wait, and findings that would make you withdraw or renegotiate. Include the insurance excess in the first category rather than treating insurance as a complete safety net. Then ask the inspector whether the shortened timetable is realistic before promising it to the seller.
 
One caveat: don’t let two lost offers persuade you that every future seller requires the same terms. Price, timing and certainty all matter, and another property may attract different competition. Set your maximum acceptable risk now. If access, service-charge information or a workable inspection period is refused, walking away can still be the cheaper outcome.
 
Back
Top