The agent can explain seller feedback and market tactics; your inspector addresses physical condition; the appropriate Dutch adviser addresses contract and tax questions. Keeping those roles separate reduces misplaced reassurance.
And you decide the acceptable loss. No professional can make an emergency fund feel sufficient if spending it would leave you unable to sleep or meet ordinary bills.
Conversely, discomfort alone does not prove the risk is excessive. Convert it into unanswered questions, potential costs and cash scenarios. Then decide from those rather than from the stress of two rejected offers.
For the next listing, I would use this sequence: request documents, clarify tax and shared costs, screen the budget, arrange inspection access, then settle the offer wording. That prevents the deadline driving every choice.
It may also reveal the apartment is unsuitable before you spend money on inspection. Due diligence has an order; more investigation is not always better if an early affordability issue already ends the bid.
A useful question for the inspector is which findings require action before occupation, which can wait, and which need monitoring. That directly connects the report to the emergency fund.
Ask separately about likely disruption. A technically affordable repair may still be unacceptable if it means moving out again or coordinating extensive shared-building access.
I would not use the entire reserve as the inspection threshold. Some money must remain after repairing the reported issues because the inspection can never eliminate every unknown.
There is a seller-side reality too: an offer with a condition may still win if the buyer communicates clearly and meets deadlines. “Competitive” should not automatically mean “unconditional.”
If you pursue pre-offer inspection, agree beforehand what happens if access is limited. You need to know whether the inspector can still provide meaningful guidance or would recommend a later full inspection.
I would avoid letting a limited pre-offer visit justify total confidence. Its value is in reducing specific uncertainties, not certifying the entire apartment and shared building.
Has the agent explained whether the proposed shorter window begins at offer acceptance or another contractual point? The exact start matters as much as the number of days, so get Netherlands-specific wording checked.
Also account for weekends or availability constraints when testing the timetable, without assuming how the contract counts them. Put the actual sequence on a calendar.
The calendar should include time for a second opinion if the first report flags something outside scope. Otherwise you have planned only for the best inspection outcome.
A final caution on service charges: focus not only on today’s monthly payment but on what it covers and what future shared work is already being discussed. Ask questions rather than inferring from the amount.
My middle ground would be: resolve the tax ambiguity independently, review shared-building information, preserve a post-completion cash reserve, and seek a pre-offer inspection. If that cannot happen, use a realistic, properly reviewed inspection condition rather than waiving from frustration.