I am less convinced by a monetary trigger. Several moderate findings can be disruptive without any single one crossing it. A pre-offer inspection avoids that arithmetic if access can be arranged.
Would the seller permit an inspector during a second viewing? That seems like the first question. If the answer is no, the refusal is not proof of a defect, but it affects the risk decision.
There is another middle ground: bid with the condition but make everything else straightforward. Sellers assess the whole offer, so financing certainty and a workable completion date may offset a brief inspection window.
That depends on what the seller values, which you may never know. I would not sacrifice protection merely to imitate the unidentified winning bidders from two previous sales.
Set a walk-away rule before viewing the next place. For example: no waiver where the shared-building information is incomplete or the unexplained tax point remains unresolved. Predetermined rules help when bidding becomes emotional.
The apartment and building need two separate repair lists: items you control directly and collective items that may arrive through service charges or one-off contributions. Your emergency fund must contemplate both.
For the pre-offer route, have the inspector’s availability lined up before a promising listing appears. Waiting until the offer deadline may be why the option feels impractical.
Could your agent ask for the seller’s preferred timeline before you choose conditions? A short but achievable inspection period tailored to that schedule may be more attractive than a generic clause.
Yes, but do not let “short” become impossible. Count working time for access, the inspection itself, the report and advice on findings. A deadline you cannot use is effectively a waiver.
I would also reserve cash for immediate habitability work rather than cosmetic improvements. If everything turns out fine, that money can become the furniture budget later.
Ask whether existing inspection material is available, but treat its date, scope and commissioning party carefully. A document supplied by someone else may answer some questions without replacing your own assessment.
If records mention prior repairs, compare what was recommended with what was actually completed. “Addressed” can mean anything unless the scope is clear.
The tax issue should sit on its own decision track. An inspection is unlikely to resolve a title, billing or allocation question, so do not use one condition as protection against an unrelated uncertainty.
Exactly. Physical condition, contract terms and tax exposure need separate questions and separate competent answers. Bundling them into a general feeling of unease makes the decision harder.
I would ask the agent for a written cash-flow sheet through the first few months: purchase-related payments, move, service charges, insurance, mortgage and minimum repair reserve. Missing lines become obvious on paper.
Another question for the agent: did the earlier winning bids truly waive inspection, or merely complete one before bidding? “Fewer conditions” does not necessarily mean those buyers accepted unknown physical risk.
Good distinction. They might also have had larger reserves or a different tolerance for renovation. Their choice should not establish the appropriate risk for a first-time buyer.
The price matters less than the proportion of your available cash left afterward. Two buyers paying €280,600 can have completely different capacity to handle the same repair.