Would you keep a Lima rental if management erased most of the cash flow?

ledger.green

Real estate agent
I may move away from Lima and would no longer be able to respond quickly when the property needs attention. Local managers are quoting about 11% of rent, plus letting and maintenance-coordination fees. On my numbers, that removes almost all the monthly surplus.

For a property worth roughly PEN 4,219,000, would you accept minimal cash flow in exchange for professional management, or sell and simplify? I’m particularly interested in what tipped the decision for remote owners: tenant turnover, maintenance risk, financing, or something else.
 
If the surplus disappears before allowing for vacancy and major repairs, I would lean toward selling. The 11% is only the visible cost; turnover, letting fees and maintenance coordination could make an apparently break-even year negative. Keeping it can still make sense if you have a strong non-cash reason, but “the property pays for itself most months” would not be enough for me.
 
One missing number is the return on the property’s current value, not its original purchase price. What is the annual rent after realistic vacancy, property tax, insurance, routine maintenance and financing, but before management? Comparing that net figure with PEN 4,219,000 may make the choice clearer. Also ask each manager exactly which events trigger separate fees; the same 11% headline can produce different totals.
 
I wouldn’t sell solely because management consumes the present cash flow. If the move might be temporary, selling is hard to reverse, while appointing a manager buys time and distance. The real issue is whether you can comfortably fund a vacancy, a large repair or several months of negative cash flow without resenting the property.
 
There is also a middle option: keep it for a defined trial period rather than making an open-ended commitment. Build a 12-month budget with a vacancy allowance, maintenance reserve, insurance, property tax, management and one possible tenant change. Set a maximum cash contribution you will tolerate. If the actual figures cross it, sell instead of repeatedly telling yourself the next month will be better.
 
A trial period only helps if the likely sale decision will not be derailed by inertia. I’d also stress-test any financing. A property that is barely neutral now can become uncomfortable if borrowing costs or other debt-related expenses change. Conversely, if there is little financing and the owner has ample reserves, low cash flow may be tolerable—but that is a wealth-allocation choice, not an income investment.
 
Before choosing, compare at least two full management proposals line by line and ask how they handle approvals for repairs, emergencies, tenant replacement and reporting to an owner abroad. Then prepare parallel “keep” and “sell” outcomes, including likely transaction costs without guessing them. The cleaner decision is the one that still works under an ordinary vacancy and repair year, not just the best-case monthly rent.
 
Back
Top