Would you ever waive inspection on an older Santiago home?

rowan.zane

First-time buyer
Founding Member
We need to decide on our next offer quickly. Two Santiago bids have already failed because other buyers imposed fewer conditions, yet removing the inspection safeguard on a CLP 780,200,000 flat seems like too much risk.

The place presents well, but its age, possible financing costs and anything hidden behind the finishes still concern us. Could we arrange an inspector before offering, or set a very short review period with clear walk-away findings? If neither is possible, we may have to keep the broader protection and accept that we could lose again. We also need cash left for moving, basic furniture and the first mortgage payment.
 
I would shorten the window rather than waive it. Before offering, line up an inspector who can attend quickly and decide which findings would genuinely make you walk away. A narrow contingency may sound attractive, but “structural” alone could leave out expensive immediate repairs inside the flat. Also keep your repair reserve separate from the deposit and moving budget.
 
What do you actually know about the service charges and insurance excess? An inspection addresses physical condition, not every early ownership cost. If those figures are uncertain, winning with fewer conditions could still leave your emergency fund too thin once the first payment arrives.
 
At CLP 780,200,000, the real choice is not simply broad protection versus recklessness. A wide inspection condition has little value if sellers consistently reject the offer, while a narrow structural clause could miss costly defects inside the flat.

I would first ask whether an inspector can visit before the bid and get the financing costs, service charges and insurance exposure pinned down. If those figures leave a proper reserve after moving and the first payment, shorten the inspection period. If they do not, keep the condition and delay the furniture rather than stretching further.
 
Back
Top