Would you buy an Auckland serviced apartment running NZ$165/month negative?

InezLark

Market analyst
Market Reporter
I’m considering a 2-bed serviced apartment in Auckland. The location appears to have durable demand, but using a conservative rent estimate of NZ$5,262 and allowing for reserves, it comes out roughly NZ$165 per month cash-flow negative.

I can comfortably cover that, but the return then depends on higher rent or capital growth. Would you regard this as a manageable holding cost, or simply an appreciation bet? I’m particularly wondering which assumptions—insurance, vacancy, management, maintenance or financing—usually prove most important once you get beyond the initial calculation.
 
At face value it is an appreciation bet, although NZ$165 is small enough that one incorrect assumption could move it either way. Does your calculation include the full serviced-apartment management cost, realistic tenant turnover and vacancy, insurance, rates or property tax, and a maintenance reserve? I’d also rerun it with lower rent and higher financing costs. If that version is uncomfortable, the current shortfall is giving false reassurance.
 
I wouldn’t reject it merely because it starts NZ$165 negative. I would reject it if NZ$165 is the best-case shortfall dressed up as a conservative one. Get every recurring cost into a monthly schedule, clarify what the serviced arrangement covers, and model at least one vacancy or turnover period plus increases in insurance and maintenance. Then compare the annual cash contribution with a genuinely cash-flow-positive alternative. That makes the price of the appreciation bet explicit.
 
Back
Top