Would you buy a Singapore rental starting S$469 a month negative?

thinkTheBrick

Property investor
I’m deciding on a 1-bed duplex in Singapore. The location appears to have durable rental demand, but using a conservative rent of S$5,813, I’m still about S$469 per month short after reserves. I can carry that, yet the deal seems worthwhile only if rent or the property value rises.

With the decision deadline now real, I’m struggling to separate a calculated long-term investment from simply funding an appreciation bet. I’m also reviewing planning applications around the area, but don’t want speculative future changes to rescue weak numbers. What would make you proceed or walk away?
 
On those figures, I’d treat it as an appreciation bet until shown otherwise. S$469 monthly is S$5,628 a year before an unexpected vacancy or turnover expense.

What exactly is included in the shortfall? If it excludes management, insurance, property tax, maintenance beyond the reserve, or vacancy allowance, the true gap could be wider. That missing breakdown matters more than whether you can currently cover S$469.
 
I don’t fully agree that negative cash flow automatically makes it a bad investment. If the financing payment includes principal, some of the cash outflow may be building equity rather than disappearing. But you need the interest/principal split before making that argument.

I’d model flat rent and flat value, then stress the financing cost and tenant turnover. Any benefit from planning applications should be an upside case, not part of the justification for buying.
 
Give yourself three versions before the deadline: the current assumptions, a vacancy-and-reletting case, and a financing-cost increase case. Include every recurring cost in each one.

Then decide the maximum annual amount you are genuinely willing to contribute without relying on higher rent or resale value. If the stressed versions exceed it, renegotiate the price or financing, contribute more equity if that makes sense for your overall liquidity, or walk. Being able to fund a shortfall is not the same as being paid adequately for taking it.
 
Back
Top