Would you buy a rental that starts €506/month negative?

ClearOak

Property investor
I may be too close to this to judge clearly. I’m considering an attractive 3-bed townhouse in Milan, where the location appears to have durable long-term demand. Using a conservative rent of €959 and allowing for reserves, I still get a shortfall of about €506 per month.

I can carry that, but the deal seems to work only if rent or the property value rises. Is this a calculated investment, or am I simply paying every month for an appreciation bet? I’m more interested in the downside than reassurance about Milan.
 
At those numbers, I would treat it as an appreciation-led purchase rather than an income investment. That does not automatically make it wrong, but €506 a month is a definite cost while future growth is uncertain.

What is included in the calculation? I’d want separate figures for vacancy, management, maintenance, insurance, property tax and financing. If any are missing, the real deficit is larger.
 
I partly disagree that negative cash flow alone settles it. Some of the mortgage payment may be reducing principal, so not all €506 is necessarily an economic loss. The townhouse could still fit a long holding period if that principal reduction is meaningful and the buyer values the location.

But I would stress-test it with unchanged rent, tenant turnover, a significant repair and less favourable financing. If that version becomes uncomfortable, the margin is too thin.
 
Principal repayment matters for net worth, but it does not solve the monthly liquidity problem. You still have to fund the full shortfall, including during vacancy or between tenants. I’d also avoid assuming a 3-bed will have low turnover without evidence about the likely tenant profile.

The key missing number is how long you could cover €506 plus an unexpected bill without needing rent growth or a sale.
 
I’d set decision limits before getting more attached: calculate the annual cash contribution, model a vacancy and turnover period, then rerun the financing at a higher cost if the loan can change. Also confirm the local tax and insurance assumptions with people familiar with Milan, since those details depend on the property and your circumstances.

If the deal only becomes acceptable after optimistic rent increases or appreciation, call it what it is: a leveraged growth bet, not a self-supporting rental.
 
Back
Top