Would you accept SEK 2,600 monthly negative cash flow on a villa near Stockholm?

EvenVale

Real estate agent
I’m considering a 3-bed villa near Stockholm at roughly SEK 7,436,000. Using a conservative rent of SEK 51,810 and allowing for reserves, it comes out around SEK 2,600 per month cash-flow negative.

I can comfortably cover that, but the return seems dependent on rent growth or appreciation. Would you regard this as a calculated long-term investment, or simply paying monthly for an appreciation bet? If you would buy—or reject—the same numbers, what would decide it?
 
First I’d separate mortgage principal from actual operating losses. If the SEK 2,600 includes amortisation, part of that shortfall is increasing your equity; if it is negative after financing costs but before principal, the case is weaker.

Does your SEK 51,810 assumption also allow for vacancy, management, insurance, property tax and tenant turnover, or only routine maintenance?
 
One more concern: financing sensitivity. A deal this close to break-even can move noticeably negative if borrowing costs reset, while one vacant month or a large villa repair will not fit neatly into an average monthly reserve. I’d rerun it with lower rent, some vacancy and higher financing costs before giving any value to appreciation.
 
I’d be more cautious than that. Even if amortisation explains the accounting shortfall, you still have to fund the cash leaving your account, and equity in the villa is not liquid.

My decision would turn on whether there is a credible path to positive net cash flow without assuming price growth. I’d verify realistic comparable rents and obtain actual insurance, tax, management and maintenance estimates. If it still loses SEK 2,600 under the normal case and substantially more under a vacancy or repair case, I would either negotiate the price down or pass.
 
Back
Top