Would you accept S$436 monthly negative cash flow on this Singapore condo?

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
I’m considering a 4-bed condo in Singapore because the location appears to have durable rental demand. Using a conservative monthly rent of S$4,641, my estimate is still about S$436 per month negative after reserves. I can comfortably cover that, but it seems the investment only works if rent or the property value rises. Is this reasonable calculated risk, or am I simply paying monthly for an appreciation bet? I’m also wondering which costs or sensitivities people commonly miss in this calculation.
 
First separate mortgage principal from interest. Principal reduces cash flow but builds equity, whereas interest is a true financing cost. If the S$436 shortfall remains after accounting for that distinction, vacancy, management, maintenance, insurance and property tax, then yes: part of the case depends on future rent growth or appreciation. I’d also rerun it with less favourable financing rather than assuming today’s payment remains comfortable.
 
What exactly is contained in “after reserves”? At S$436 a month, you are committing S$5,232 per year before any expense that was omitted. Does the model allow for an empty period between tenants, leasing costs, management, routine maintenance and larger condo-related expenses? One missed tenant turnover could make the headline shortfall look deceptively small.
 
One more test: model the property with rent unchanged at S$4,641 and a vacancy occurring at the same time as a repair or tenant change. If that scenario is still acceptable without raiding emergency funds, the negative cash flow may be manageable. If the deal becomes uncomfortable immediately, the margin is too thin regardless of how attractive the location feels.
 
I wouldn’t say every negative-cash-flow purchase is automatically a bad investment. Total return can include principal reduction and eventual price movement, and some buyers knowingly trade current income for those possibilities. The caveat is that “long-term demand” does not guarantee your particular 4-bed unit rents quickly at the expected figure. Larger units can have a different tenant pool, so evidence from genuinely comparable units matters.
 
Building on the stress test, I’d set three figures before proceeding: the minimum achievable rent, the maximum monthly contribution you will tolerate, and the point at which you would sell or reconsider. Then compare the projected return with simply keeping the deposit and monthly S$436 available for another investment. Affordability alone doesn’t answer whether the capital is being used well.
 
I’d verify the property tax treatment, insurance assumptions, condo maintenance charges and financing terms for this specific Singapore purchase rather than relying on a generic rental spreadsheet. Also ask for recent evidence of achieved rents and how long comparable 4-bed units remained available. If the numbers only work with uninterrupted occupancy and rising values, call it an appreciation-led purchase—not an income investment—and decide on that basis.
 
Back
Top