Would you accept €253 monthly negative cash flow on a Berlin serviced apartment?

testTheWire

Property investor
I’m considering a 5-bed serviced apartment in Berlin. The location appears to have durable demand, but using a conservative monthly rent of €4,430 and allowing for reserves, the property still runs about €253 per month negative.

I can comfortably cover that, yet the return seems dependent on higher rent or appreciation. Would you regard the shortfall as a calculated cost of holding, or reject the deal because the base case does not support itself? I’m especially interested in which assumptions people would challenge for a serviced apartment.
 
I would not buy it on those numbers unless the €253 includes a substantial mortgage principal payment. If it is genuinely losing cash after financing and all operating costs, then you are paying for an appreciation forecast that may not arrive when needed. The affordable shortfall is less important than whether the investment works without optimistic rent growth.
 
What exactly is included in “after reserves”? With a serviced apartment I would want separate lines for vacancy, management, cleaning or turnover costs, maintenance, insurance, property tax and any building charges. A €253 deficit can become much larger if €4,430 assumes near-continuous occupancy or if one operating expense has been bundled into an unrealistically small allowance.
 
I disagree that negative cash flow automatically makes it a bad deal. If part of the monthly outflow is repaying principal, your equity may still be increasing. But I would separate that from appreciation and ask whether the total expected return compensates for the work and risk. Principal reduction is measurable; future Berlin price growth is not.
 
Run three versions before deciding: the current assumptions, a weaker occupancy case with more tenant turnover, and a financing-stress case. Keep rent flat in all three so appreciation or rent growth cannot hide the operating result. Also confirm whether the serviced use changes management costs or what can realistically be charged; that is jurisdiction-specific and worth checking locally.
 
The five bedrooms are the part I would examine hardest. Is €4,430 based on renting the whole apartment under one arrangement, or on income associated with individual rooms? Those create different vacancy and turnover patterns. A single vacancy assumption may be misleading if the actual operating model involves several occupants changing at different times.
 
There is also an opportunity-cost issue. €253 per month sounds manageable, but the property may require additional cash during vacancies or major maintenance. Compare the equity committed and those possible calls for cash with a simpler investment, not just with doing nothing. Location demand helps, but strong demand does not guarantee that this particular serviced format produces positive net cash flow.
 
That opportunity-cost point is why I would set a firm threshold rather than debating whether €253 feels small. First rebuild the cash flow from the rental arrangement upward; then test vacancy, turnover, management and financing separately. If it remains negative and the return only becomes attractive after assumed rent or value growth, call it an appreciation-led investment. That may still suit the buyer, but it is not a self-funding rental.
 
Back
Top