Would you accept a $350 monthly loss on a Los Angeles rental?

lina.wells

Developer
Verified Pro
Either I accept a $350 monthly loss now, or I assume future rent growth or appreciation will rescue the numbers. Neither option feels particularly comfortable.

This is a 5-bed new-build flat in Los Angeles with estimated rent of $3,099. I can cover the shortfall, but I do not want affordability to become a substitute for investment discipline. I’m checking whether the calculation properly separates property tax, insurance, vacancy, management, building dues and maintenance reserves. If the loss remains $350 after realistic allowances, would you reject it? If there is credible evidence that the rent is temporarily below market, what would you need to see before treating it differently?
 
I would pass unless there is a compelling reason the current rent is temporarily low. Negative $350 becomes $4,200 a year before an unexpected vacancy or larger expense. If appreciation is what makes the numbers work, then appreciation—not rental performance—is the investment thesis. I’d want the property to get much closer to supporting itself at today’s rent.
 
What exactly is inside “after reserves”? Does the calculation separately allow for vacancy, management, maintenance, insurance, property tax and any building dues? One vacant month at $3,099 is equivalent to roughly $258 per month when spread over a year. Tenant turnover in a 5-bed property could also make the headline shortfall misleading.
 
I don’t think negative cash flow automatically makes it a bad purchase. Financing may be paying down principal, and a long holding period can change the picture. But I’d need to know whether the financing cost is stable and how long the owner intends to hold. A manageable $350 is very different from a shortfall that could widen after a rate change or refinancing.
 
Principal repayment helps net worth, but it doesn’t pay the insurance bill or cover an empty month. I’d model three cases: rent unchanged, one month vacant, and higher recurring costs. If only the optimistic case feels acceptable, the buyer is relying on appreciation even if the spreadsheet calls it a rental.
 
That’s fair, although there is also a danger in demanding that every long-term property produce positive cash flow immediately. The practical line for me would be whether the flat remains comfortably affordable with flat rent and a rough year, without forcing a sale. If it does, the appreciation exposure may be intentional rather than accidental.
 
The vacancy point is the part I had not given enough weight. My $350 figure uses a reserve, but I need to separate vacancy, management, routine maintenance and turnover rather than letting one general allowance stand in for everything. I’m going to rerun it with no rent growth and a full vacant month before deciding.
 
Also test the financing independently from the operating costs. Keep the $3,099 rent fixed, then see what happens if insurance, property tax or financing costs rise while maintenance is merely average. New-build status may reduce some early repairs, but it doesn’t remove vacancy, management or tenant turnover.
 
Before relying on future rent growth, verify that $3,099 reflects genuinely comparable 5-bed flats in the same part of Los Angeles and the same leasing arrangement. Then decide on a maximum annual amount you are willing to contribute even if value and rent stay flat. If the stressed contribution exceeds that limit, the answer is already no; if it remains comfortable, at least the appreciation bet is sized deliberately.
 
Back
Top