Would QAR 138,300 be enough cash to keep after buying a duplex?

compass.fresh

Homeowner
Established
After the deposit and estimated closing costs, we should have about QAR 138,300 left for moving, furniture and anything unexpected. The duplex appears well maintained, although I know the inspection cannot rule out every first-year expense.

The mortgage payment should remain comfortable. Would you proceed with that buffer, or delay the purchase to build a larger reserve? I’m especially interested in how others would divide the cash once the closing deadline became real.
 
I wouldn’t delay solely because that number feels uncomfortable. I’d first separate a true emergency fund from the moving and furnishing budget. Then allow for the first mortgage payment, insurance excess, service charges and any urgent inspection findings. If QAR 138,300 still leaves a meaningful untouched reserve after those items, proceeding sounds reasonable.
 
What is included in the closing-cost estimate, and when are the service charges and first mortgage payment due? Timing matters almost as much as the total. Several large payments landing in the first month could make an otherwise adequate reserve feel much smaller.
 
I’m more cautious than Valentina. A comfortable monthly payment does not necessarily mean the post-closing position is comfortable, especially with a duplex where an inspection may identify work that is advisable rather than immediately essential. I would not count furniture money as emergency savings. If the QAR 138,300 has to cover a full fit-out as well as repairs and moving, I’d postpone nonessential furniture rather than postpone the property purchase.
 
Make three lists before deciding: costs due by move-in, repairs suggested by the inspection, and purchases that can wait. Put actual amounts beside everything you already know, including service charges, insurance excess and the first mortgage payment. Keep the emergency fund separate and untouched. That exercise should show whether the issue is genuinely a thin reserve or simply the temptation to furnish the whole duplex immediately.
 
Back
Top