Would CHF 26,400 after closing be enough of a buffer?

kai_trades

First-time buyer
Established
CHF 26,400 would be left at completion. That amount must cover the move, essential furniture and anything the Zurich duplex needs soon after we take possession.

The mortgage itself fits our budget and the property appears well maintained, but I have not yet separated immediate service charges and repair items from the true emergency fund. If moving and making the home functional still leave a meaningful cash reserve untouched, I would be comfortable proceeding. If they consume most of it, delaying to save more may be wiser. Which first-month cost would you confirm before making that call?
 
CHF 26,400 sounds potentially reasonable, but only if part of it remains a genuine emergency fund. I would separate moving and essential furniture from the reserve before deciding. If those planned costs consume most of the amount, the apparent buffer is doing several jobs at once and is smaller than it looks.
 
Does the CHF 26,400 already account for the first mortgage payment, insurance costs and any service charges due soon after completion? The timing matters. You could be comfortable over a full year but still face several large payments in the first month.
 
I’m less reassured by the headline number. A maintained property can still produce an immediate repair, and duplex costs may include shared items depending on the ownership arrangement. I would delay if paying for the move and basic setup would leave you unable to cover a meaningful repair without borrowing.
 
Furniture is the flexible category here. A bed, lighting and somewhere to eat may be essential; matching rooms are not. Make two lists: required in the first week and acceptable to postpone for six months. That will show whether CHF 26,400 is really a property reserve or partly a furnishing budget.
 
Use the inspection to turn this from a gut feeling into a first-year plan. Ask which findings need attention now, which can wait, and which deserve specialist estimates. An inspection saying the duplex is generally maintained is useful, but a list of likely timings and costs is much more useful for this decision.
 
Also decide what event the emergency fund is meant to cover. Is it only the duplex, or must it also handle income disruption, an insurance excess and ordinary household emergencies? I wouldn’t assign every franc to visible move-in costs. Some cash should remain deliberately unallocated.
 
For the Zurich move itself, get written figures rather than relying on a broad allowance: removal company, cleaning or disposal if relevant, small installations and anything needed immediately. Individually minor items can erode the reserve quickly. I would also confirm when the first mortgage payment and any building-related charges actually fall due.
 
A comfortable monthly mortgage does not completely answer the concern. Monthly affordability and cash resilience are different. On the other hand, waiting has costs and uncertainty too, so I wouldn’t delay merely to reach an arbitrary round number. Delay only if your itemised plan shows too little untouched cash afterward.
 
The distinction between total cash and untouched emergency cash is helpful. I had been mentally treating the full CHF 26,400 as the buffer while also expecting it to pay for the move and furniture. I’ll split those out, add the first mortgage payment and near-term charges, then reconsider based on what genuinely remains.
 
That should give you a clearer go/no-go test. Start with CHF 26,400, subtract only realistic essential move-in spending, then ring-fence the amount needed for non-property emergencies. Finally, compare the remainder with the inspection’s near-term items and your insurance excess. If the result depends on postponing optional furniture, that seems manageable; if it depends on nothing going wrong, it is tight.
 
One caveat: don’t automatically repair every inspection item immediately. Some reports list maintenance observations rather than urgent defects. Get priorities clarified before reducing your reserve on day one. I’d proceed only after the payment calendar and inspection findings are clear, not simply because the mortgage itself feels comfortable.
 
Back
Top