Would $9,000 left after closing be too thin for a coastal home?

oren_miles

First-time buyer
After our deposit and estimated closing costs, we should have about $9,000 left for moving, furniture and surprises. The New York coastal home looks maintained, but I know an inspection cannot rule out every first-year expense. The mortgage payment itself would be comfortable.

Would you delay and build a larger reserve, or proceed with that buffer? I’m trying to distinguish cash legally or contractually required for a United States purchase from the amount people simply feel safer keeping.
 
I would not treat the full $9,000 as available for furniture. First subtract moving costs, service setup, the first mortgage payment if it falls before your next normal income cycle, and any inspection items needing prompt attention. Then compare what remains with the insurance deductible and your wider emergency fund. The lender and New York closing attorney can confirm required closing funds; the reserve beyond that is mainly a risk-tolerance decision.
 
Does the $9,000 sit on top of a separate emergency fund, or is it every dollar you would have left? That changes my answer completely. If it is the whole reserve, I’d be cautious, especially with a coastal property where one unexpected repair could compete with ordinary living expenses. A clean inspection lowers uncertainty but does not create cash. Furniture, unlike an active leak or electrical issue, can usually wait.
 
I agree with Omar’s distinction, though I would not automatically delay solely because the figure is $9,000. Get firm moving quotes, read the inspection report before committing to optional purchases, and ask the insurer what deductible applies to the relevant cover. Make two lists: expenses due before the first mortgage payment, and items that can wait six months. If the essential list consumes most of the $9,000, the comfortable monthly payment does not solve the short-term cash risk.
 
Back
Top