Would $21,000 after closing be enough for a $575,000 Miami townhouse?

sanna_quinn

First-time buyer
The purchase may fit within my maximum, but I’m hesitant about how little room that leaves afterward. I’m looking at a three-bedroom Miami townhouse for about $575,000, with an estimated $21,000 remaining once the down payment and closing costs are covered.

That sum still has several jobs: moving, essential furniture, inspection items and an emergency fund. It may also need to absorb association or service charges, prepaid insurance, utility setup and the first mortgage payment if those are not already in the closing estimate.

How would you allocate it? My current decision rule is that if committed move-in costs leave a proper emergency reserve intact, I can consider proceeding. If routine repairs would require credit or consume that reserve, I should lower the purchase budget. Which commonly missed costs should I verify before making that call?
 
I’d divide it before making an offer, not after. As a rough starting plan: keep $12,000 completely untouched, allow $4,000 for moving and basic setup, and reserve $5,000 for repairs. Furniture beyond essentials can wait.

The exact split should follow your monthly essential spending, though. If $12,000 would disappear quickly after a job interruption, the property may still be too close to your maximum.
 
Also, is the $21,000 calculated after prepaid insurance, any townhouse association or service charges, utility setup and the first mortgage payment? Some may be included in the closing estimate, but confirm each item rather than assuming. I’d ask for a simple cash-to-close breakdown plus the dates of the first payments.
 
I’m less comfortable assigning $5,000 to repairs before seeing the inspection. A clean inspection might let most of that remain in savings; a major finding could make $5,000 irrelevant. Separate findings into urgent safety or water issues, work needed within a year, and cosmetic items. Only the first category should automatically reduce your post-closing cash.
 
One more item: look at the deductible in the actual insurance quote and make sure the untouched reserve could cover it alongside normal living expenses. The premium alone doesn’t show your full cash exposure.

I’d make a one-page list with amount, due date and whether the cost is certain or optional. Moving is certain; a dining set is optional; an inspection repair is unknown until the report arrives.
 
The cautious answer may be to choose a townhouse below $575,000 if doing so materially increases that buffer. Don’t let a larger bedroom or nicer finish consume the margin that makes ownership manageable.

Before committing, get the inspection, confirm ongoing association charges, obtain the insurance figures and map the first mortgage payment. Then rerun the $21,000 allocation. Buy only essential furniture at first; empty space is inconvenient, but debt taken on to fill it is worse.
 
Back
Top