Would 11% management make holding a Singapore rental pointless?

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
If I get this wrong, I could keep a Singapore rental that produces little income while still carrying all the responsibility from abroad. I may relocate, and the management quotes are around 11%, with separate charges mentioned for finding tenants and arranging repairs.

My first assumption was that the percentage represented a nearly complete service. A cheaper collection-only arrangement would be a very different proposition if I still had to organise inspections, tenant issues and urgent work remotely. On the figures I have now, the monthly margin is almost gone, even before allowing properly for vacancies and maintenance reserves.

I am comparing a managed hold with selling. Before deciding, should I ask for a full annual cost under a realistic tenant turnover scenario, then test it against higher financing costs? I would also like to know which duties and approval limits need to be written into the management scope.
 
First calculate annual net cash flow rather than focusing on a normal month. Include the 11%, letting costs when tenants change, a vacancy allowance, maintenance reserves, insurance and property tax. Then stress it for a higher financing cost if you have a loan. If the result is consistently near zero or negative, selling deserves serious consideration.
 
What exactly is included in that 11%? There is a large difference between someone collecting rent and someone handling tenant communication, inspections and urgent repairs while you are abroad. I would also ask how maintenance coordination is charged and whether another letting fee applies at every turnover. The headline percentage alone may not show the real annual cost.
 
I would push back on the idea that little monthly surplus automatically means the property should be sold. Cash flow is only one side of the decision; selling also gives up the asset and converts your position into whatever remains after the transaction. But I also would not keep it merely in hope of future gains. Model a vacancy and one meaningful repair in the same year. If that creates an uncomfortable funding requirement, remote ownership may not suit your risk tolerance.
 
Before deciding, get each manager to price the same scenario: one full year, a tenant change, a repair requiring coordination and a vacant period. That makes the quotes comparable. Also ask what decisions they can make without reaching you and what still requires your approval. If the service cannot actually solve your slow-response problem, even a cheaper percentage is poor value.
 
Back
Top