When should London fundamentals outweigh a modest current yield?

makeTheCanvas

Property investor
Established
If I get this comparison wrong, I could end up paying a London premium for hoped-for growth while accepting cash flow that does not cover the real risks. I’m weighing a small multifamily property in London against cheaper-market alternatives that offer better income now but may be harder to exit.

My inclination is to model the London deal without appreciation and include realistic vacancy, management, maintenance, insurance, taxes, finance costs and tenant turnover. Strong employment and transport links would then be an advantage, not a substitute for an acceptable return. What minimum result would make the lower yield worthwhile, and which changes in rent, borrowing cost or vacancy would reverse your decision? Comparable completed London transactions would help more than broad market commentary.
 
I’d first underwrite it with zero appreciation. If net cash flow still compensates you for the capital, workload and financing risk, the stronger location becomes an additional benefit rather than the reason the deal works. Also rerun the figures with weaker rent, some vacancy and higher borrowing costs. A property that only survives under the optimistic case is not being rescued by good transport links.
 
What does “modest current yield” mean here: the listing’s gross yield or your own net figure? Purchase price, achievable rent, current occupancy, loan terms and likely tenant turnover would change the answer considerably. I’d also want to know whether the cheaper-market figures use the same assumptions. Otherwise you may be comparing a conservative London calculation with optimistic headline yields elsewhere.
 
I partly disagree with making one minimum cash return decisive. The same threshold across different locations can favour assets with higher operational and exit risk simply because their initial yield is larger.

That does not mean pricing in appreciation. I’d compare the London property’s zero-growth return with a risk-adjusted version of each alternative, including longer vacancy and resale periods where appropriate. Employment and transport may support tenant demand, but they should not automatically be translated into a future sale price.
 
Following Mila’s point, completed sales alone won’t settle it either. Nicolas would need comparable building type, condition, tenancy position and a sensible geographic area; a nearby sale can still be a poor comparison. I’d separate the evidence into achieved rents, tenant turnover, completed sale prices and time taken to exit. Which of those do you currently have for the London property and the cheaper alternatives?
 
A practical way forward is to prepare three versions of the same model: current expectations, a downside case, and a zero-growth holding case. Include vacancy allowance, paid management even if you might self-manage, maintenance reserves, insurance, owner-borne property taxes, financing changes and turnover costs.

Then keep appreciation outside the cash-flow calculation and use it only to compare possible exits. If the London deal fails your required return before growth, be explicit that you are making a capital-growth bet. That may still be a deliberate choice, but it should not be disguised as an income investment.
 
Back
Top