When should I inspect a new-build serviced apartment in Vancouver?

esme_sky

First-time buyer
Ideally I’d have an independent inspector examine the new-build 4-bed serviced apartment before I complete, but access may be limited and my remaining cash has several other jobs. The builder says the municipal checks are sufficient, while I’m worried about issues such as drainage, insulation and poor finishes that may not be obvious immediately.

If I can afford only one thorough visit, is it usually more useful shortly before completion or during handover when more of the apartment can be tested? I could then keep dated notes and photographs for another check near the defect-reporting deadline.

I also need to retain a buffer for the move, furniture, service charges, the insurance excess and the first mortgage payment, so multiple paid visits may leave too little for an urgent repair.
 
I’d favour an inspection before completion if the builder permits meaningful access, then document anything visible again at handover. A municipal pass and an inspection commissioned for the buyer do not necessarily look for the same things.

Before choosing the date, ask what access the inspector gets and when defects must be reported. Do you already know the length and terms of your defect period?
 
I wouldn’t automatically spend money on multiple visits. If the pre-completion inspection happens while areas are inaccessible or unfinished, it may offer poor value. A thorough handover inspection could be the better compromise, with your own dated notes and photographs near the defect-period deadline.

Also keep enough cash for immediate repairs rather than assuming every finding will be resolved quickly. The service-charge schedule and insurance excess belong in that calculation too.
 
Ask prospective inspectors what they can actually assess in a serviced apartment, particularly drainage, insulation indicators and common-area boundaries. Then confirm the builder’s access rules in writing before booking.

I’d also delay nonessential furniture until after the inspection, since empty rooms make finishes and outlets easier to examine. Once you have the report, send the relevant items promptly through the builder’s stated defect process rather than waiting until the final week.
 
Back
Top