When should I arrange an independent inspection for a new-build 4-bed duplex in Doha?

compass.fresh

Homeowner
Established
I’m buying a new-build 4-bed duplex in Doha for about QAR 2,748,000. The builder says municipal checks are sufficient, but I keep hearing about drainage, insulation and finishing problems becoming apparent after handover.

If I arrange an independent inspection, is it more useful before completion, at handover, or shortly before the defect period ends? I want to avoid moving in and then arguing about energy performance, but I also need to preserve cash for moving, furniture and the first mortgage payment. Has anyone decided against an inspection at a similar price point, and what tipped the balance?
 
I would not treat a municipal check and a buyer’s inspection as interchangeable. They can have different purposes. If the budget permits, arrange one visit before or at handover, then keep your own running defect list for a later inspection near the deadline. The first visit gives you a documented starting point before furniture hides finishes or access becomes awkward.
 
Before choosing the timing, ask what access the builder will actually allow. Will water and electricity be running? Can the inspector operate drainage, cooling and fitted equipment, or only look at visible finishes? A pre-completion visit has limited value if rooms are unfinished and systems cannot be tested.
 
I’d inspect, but not at the expense of the emergency fund. The purchase price is large, yet the inspection still has to fit alongside moving costs, service charges, insurance excess and the first mortgage payment. Get a fixed scope and fee first. If only one visit is affordable, handover seems the most practical point because the duplex should be substantially complete.
 
I’m not convinced that multiple paid inspections are automatically better. Three visits can produce overlapping lists while the buyer has less cash for immediate repairs. Ask the builder for the handover and defect-reporting process in writing, then choose an inspector whose scope addresses the specific worries here rather than paying for repeated general walk-throughs.
 
Furniture timing matters more than it sounds. I would delay large deliveries until after the handover inspection and any messy corrections. Photograph every room, surface and fitting while empty, and label the images clearly. That creates a much cleaner record if there is later disagreement over whether a finish defect existed when possession was taken.
 
For the insulation concern, ask prospective inspectors how they assess it and whether meaningful testing is possible under the conditions on the inspection date. The same applies to drainage: clarify whether water will be available and what will actually be tested. “Independent inspection” is too broad unless the written scope matches the defects you are worried about.
 
That is why I favour handover if there can only be one visit. Pre-completion may reveal issues while work is still accessible, but it may also happen too early to test completed systems. Near the end of the defect period is useful for problems that emerge through occupation, although waiting until then leaves the initial condition less clearly documented.
 
I would separate the decision into two cash pots. One covers unavoidable near-term outgoings: moving, first mortgage payment, service charges, insurance excess and basic furniture. The other covers the inspection and a reserve for immediate repairs. If paying for the inspection empties the second pot, the buyer may identify defects but have no flexibility while responsibility is being discussed.
 
Also ask whether the builder requires defects to be submitted in a particular format or within particular stages of handover. That is a contract-specific question, so assumptions are risky. An inspector’s detailed list is only useful if you know how and when it must be delivered, and who will confirm that corrective work has been completed.
 
One caveat to the handover consensus: if insulation or concealed drainage work is the main concern, some elements may already be covered by then. A pre-completion inspection could be worthwhile only if access is permitted at the relevant construction stage. Otherwise I’d spend the single visit at handover and keep photos plus a dated log during occupation.
 
The QAR 2,748,000 price should not by itself decide how much cash remains available after completion. Work backwards from the known near-term bills and the emergency reserve you are unwilling to touch. Then request inspection prices for one visit and for a handover-plus-later package. Comparing those actual totals is better than deciding from the property value alone.
 
My practical sequence would be: confirm permitted access and testing conditions, read the defect-reporting terms, obtain a tightly defined inspection scope, and postpone major furniture delivery. If only one inspection fits after protecting the emergency fund, choose handover. Then keep a dated list of anything that appears during occupation and decide nearer the defect deadline whether the unresolved items justify a second visit.
 
Back
Top