When a Seoul townhouse leaves too little cash after completion

lookTheRiver

Homeowner
Established
I can either proceed with the ₩924,600,000 townhouse and retain about ₩48,300,000, or target a cheaper home and give up some of what attracted me to this 4-bed place. Neither choice feels comfortable: one risks leaving too little room for problems, while the other may mean restarting the search unnecessarily.

The remaining cash would have to cover the move, essential furnishings and any early repairs as well as a genuine emergency reserve. I do not yet know how much the inspection will change that picture. Before deciding, I plan to check the inspection report and put every payment due around completion onto a dated list. What would you want confirmed before treating that balance as adequate?
 
The detail that changes my view is that the inspection result may be available before you are committed. In that case, I would not decide on a permanent split now or assume that every repair must come from the ₩48,300,000.

If the report identifies something substantial—for example, a water problem—the sensible response could be to revisit the price rather than reduce your safety reserve. For planning purposes, keep moving costs, the first mortgage payment, possible service charges and the insurance excess separate, and limit furniture to rooms needed immediately. Once the report arrives, you can decide whether the remaining repair allowance is credible.
 
The inspection is what makes a fixed split difficult. Separate its findings into work that prevents further damage, work needed soon, and cosmetic items that can wait. A 4-bed place can absorb a furniture budget very quickly, but empty rooms are cheaper than urgent plumbing or water damage. I’d also ask for the townhouse’s service-charge schedule before deciding how large the emergency portion really is.
 
I’d be more conservative than that and avoid assigning most of the cash before completion. One possible planning envelope is ₩24,000,000 untouched for emergencies, ₩10,000,000 for inspection-led repairs, ₩5,000,000 for moving, ₩5,000,000 for essential furniture, and ₩4,300,000 for the first payment, service charges or insurance excess. Adjust the repair figure once the report arrives; if major work appears, the better response may be a lower price or walking away, not shrinking the emergency fund.
 
Back
Top