What should conveyancing actually cover on a Toronto student-housing purchase?

The practical problem is the response deadline: when several parties need an answer, I need to know who is watching it and who steps in if that person is absent. That is shaping how I compare services for a Toronto student-housing purchase of around C$1,006,000.

The descriptions are too broad to show where legal work ends and negotiation or administration begins. What should a written scope cover from offer review through closing, including document tracking, fees, escalation and coordination with the lender or other parties? I’m not expecting one contact to control everyone, but I do want named responsibility for spotting a delay and chasing the right person.

Before appointing anyone, what independent material would reveal how the service works in practice—a sample engagement letter, responsibility table, closing checklist or anonymized timeline? I also want exclusions and extra charges stated clearly, because the cash downside of discovering a gap mid-transaction could matter more than the quoted fee.
 
First establish whether the building will be vacant, already tenanted or purpose-built student accommodation. That missing fact could change which documents and issues need attention.

I would ask each provider for a written responsibility table covering offer comments, title and document work, financing coordination, deadline reminders, closing steps, exclusions and additional charges. Also ask who performs each task rather than accepting “our team” as the answer.
 
I’d be cautious about demanding one person who is “accountable for everything.” The lender, broker, insurer and seller’s side remain outside that person’s control. A useful service should still identify delays, chase the responsible party and escalate them promptly.

More important is separating legal work from negotiation or administration. Ask exactly which tasks are handled by an Ontario lawyer, which are handled by others, and who answers if a deadline is at risk.
 
Send every candidate the same one-page scenario for the C$1,006,000 property and compare written answers. Include the occupancy situation, target closing date and three practical questions: when will messages be acknowledged, how are extra fees approved, and who takes over during an absence?

Request a redacted sample status report or checklist showing how conditions, documents and dates are tracked. If they will not define exclusions or a fallback process before engagement, assume those gaps will become your problem during closing.
 
Back
Top