What should a renovation planning service actually cover for a New York coastal home?

zane_brooks

Developer
Verified Pro
I’m comparing renovation planning services for a New York coastal home priced around $1,040,000, but the quoted scopes are all over the place. Some promise negotiation and document coordination; others effectively end after making introductions. What should reasonably be included: feasibility, cost assumptions, local permit or coastal constraints, contractor coordination, and follow-through between offer and closing? I also want fees, response deadlines, named responsibilities, and fallback arrangements in writing. Would you reject a provider that will not identify one person accountable for coordination?
 
I would expect a written scope separating advice from actual transaction duties. It should identify deliverables, exclusions, fees, response times, and who tracks each open item. For this property, local knowledge should include knowing which questions must be taken to the relevant New York municipality or other authority rather than making broad assurances. Keep every estimate, revision, referral, and decision in one document trail.
 
One missing fact: are you buying the home or already owning it? Before closing, access may be limited and the planner may not be able to verify what is behind walls or obtain firm contractor pricing. I’d ask what conclusions are preliminary, what independent evidence supports the budget, and whether the fee changes if the purchase does not close.
 
I disagree that one renovation planner should be “accountable” for everything from offer to closing. That can blur responsibility between the planner, inspectors, contractors, agents, and attorneys. Better to require a responsibility table with deadlines and escalation contacts. Also agree a fallback before paying: what happens if the named coordinator is unavailable, a document arrives late, or local confirmation cannot be obtained before your decision deadline?
 
Back
Top