What should a London conveyancing quote actually cover for a £1,088,000 duplex?

watchTheSlate

Real estate agent
I’m comparing conveyancing services for a London duplex priced around £1,088,000, but the quotes seem to describe completely different jobs. Some mention negotiation and document coordination; others appear to provide little beyond an introduction to a solicitor.

What should reasonably be included from accepted offer through exchange and completion? I want transparent legal fees and third-party costs, useful knowledge of London property issues, clear response-time expectations, and one person accountable for progress. I’d also appreciate views on what evidence to request before choosing, rather than relying on sales language.
 
Negotiating the purchase price is normally separate from the conveyancer’s legal work, so I would not treat its absence as a weak quote. I would expect the written scope to address title, searches, enquiries, contract papers, mortgage requirements where relevant, exchange, completion, tax filing and registration—and to say which items cost extra.

For a duplex, establish the tenure immediately. If it is leasehold, the lease, service charges, building insurance arrangements and management information can create much more work. Ask for a named case handler, their cover when absent, and how often they will update you even when nothing has moved.
 
At £1,088,000, I would choose on the written scope and accountability rather than assume the nearest conveyancer is the safest option. A responsive firm that understands the title may be more useful than a local office that leaves the difficult points vague.

The exact legal setup needs clarifying first: is it one dwelling, a maisonette in a conversion, or two units sold together? Tenure, mortgage status and chain position will also affect the work and the documents required.

Send every firm those same facts and ask for its own fee to be separated from searches and other third-party charges. Any likely supplements should be itemised, along with the named case handler and the fallback if that person is absent.
 
Give all candidates the same facts and ask them to confirm the scope in writing. I’d include the tenure, lender, chain position, target timing and any known alterations. Then ask four practical questions: who handles the file day to day, what response time they aim for, what can increase the fee, and what happens if the assigned person becomes unavailable.

Before instructing anyone, request a sample cost breakdown and update format. Once the offer is accepted, agree a sensible date for the first title report or status update. If that date slips without explanation, your fallback should be escalation to the supervising solicitor rather than repeatedly chasing a general inbox.
 
Back
Top