What should a genuinely useful tenant placement service include in Canada?

hana.slate

Real estate agent
Established
I’m assessing a Toronto duplex at about C$587,200 and comparing services I might need if I proceed. Providers use “tenant placement” to describe very different scopes: some mention negotiation and document coordination, while others appear to stop after introducing an applicant.

What should an owner reasonably expect to be included? I want a written standard for response times, transparent fees, Toronto-specific knowledge, the document trail and accountability. I’m also unclear whether anything between purchase offer and closing belongs in this service at all. Concrete Canadian examples or useful questions to put to providers would help.
 
First separate two services. Purchase negotiation and coordination through closing are acquisition matters; finding and installing a tenant happens on the rental side. A company offering both should still quote them separately.

For placement, ask whether the fee covers advertising, inquiries, viewings, applications, consent-based screening, reference checks, lease preparation, deposit coordination and move-in handoff. Get response targets and the point where its responsibility ends in writing. The C$587,200 purchase price does not itself define a sensible placement fee.
 
Is the duplex vacant, partly occupied or fully occupied? That missing fact changes the job substantially. If either unit already has a tenant, this is no longer simply a matter of placing someone after closing. I would want the seller’s tenancy records examined during the purchase process rather than assuming a placement company will sort everything out later.
 
I’d push back on the idea that one provider should remain accountable for everything from offer to move-in. There may be value in one contact coordinating updates, but that person cannot replace the separate responsibilities of the parties handling the purchase, financing, closing and tenancy.

“Local expertise” should also be demonstrated, not asserted. Ask what Toronto work they perform themselves, what they refer elsewhere, and how they keep the rental documents consistent with current Ontario requirements.
 
Agreed that accountability should mean a named coordinator and a clear handoff, not one firm pretending to control every step. I’d request a scope table with four columns: task, person responsible, deadline and extra charge.

Also ask practical response questions: How quickly are applicant inquiries answered? When are screening results reported? Who alerts the owner if an applicant misses a deadline? How long is the listing kept active, and what happens if the first accepted applicant does not proceed?
 
The cash downside deserves its own questions. A low headline fee can become expensive if photography, advertising, repeated viewings, screening or lease work is extra. There is also vacancy cost if communication is slow.

The fallback plan matters more than promises of a quick placement: does the search continue after a failed application, is there another fee, can the owner stop the process, and what work is still payable? Those answers should appear in the quote rather than in later emails.
 
For independent evidence, I would ask for a redacted sample timeline and sample reporting format—not private applicant files or a sales testimonial. That shows whether the process actually creates a usable record.

The file should make it possible to trace listing approval, inquiries, viewing feedback, applicant consent, screening steps, owner decisions, versions of documents, money instructions and the final handoff. Separately, confirm any legal or closing questions with the appropriate Ontario professionals rather than relying on the placement provider’s interpretation.
 
That distinction cleared up my main confusion. I was treating “offer to closing” as part of a broad placement package when it should be priced and assigned separately.

My next step is to confirm whether either duplex unit is occupied and obtain the relevant tenancy records before comparing placement quotes. I’ll send providers the same task/deadline/fee template and ask for their failed-applicant and vacancy fallback terms. Any quote that only promises an introduction, without stating the handoff and document trail, will not meet what I need.
 
Back
Top