What should a genuinely useful conveyancing service include in India—am I overthinking this?

studyTheRoom

Homeowner
Established
I’m comparing conveyancing scopes for a Mumbai condo around ₹79,740,000, and the same label seems to cover completely different services. Some providers include negotiation and document coordination; others apparently end at the introduction. What should I insist is included between offer and closing? My priorities are stated response times, transparent fees, Mumbai-specific knowledge and one person who remains accountable throughout. Concrete examples of a useful scope would help.
 
At that price, I would want a written scope divided by stage: offer terms, document collection, title and property-related enquiries, issue tracking, signing, payment coordination, registration/closing steps and final handover of records. Each task should name the responsible party. “We coordinate” is too vague unless it says whom they contact, what they produce and when they escalate delays.
 
Is this a resale condo or a purchase from a developer? That changes the questions and document trail, so a provider claiming one standard package for both would concern me. Also ask whether the quote includes resolving discrepancies or merely identifying them. That distinction can turn an apparently fixed fee into a much larger bill once an issue appears.
 
I’d be careful about expecting one firm to own every part of the transaction. The broker, lender, seller, building management and legal side may each control different information. A single named coordinator is useful, but accountability should mean maintaining the timeline, chasing responses and recording unresolved items—not guaranteeing actions outside their control.
 
Ask each provider for a sample workflow stripped of client details, plus a fee schedule and exclusions. Set a response expectation in the engagement letter: even if they cannot solve an issue immediately, they should acknowledge it and say when the next update is due. For Mumbai expertise, ask them to explain which local requirements apply to this particular condo and who verifies each one, rather than accepting “India-wide coverage” as evidence.
 
The resale/developer question is the key missing fact. I’d also ask Oscar to compare the cash downside if the deal stalls: which payments may already have been made, what conditions control the next payment, and who warns the buyer before a deadline passes. A sensible fallback is to keep independent legal review available if the conveyancing package is mainly coordination. Get that boundary confirmed before accepting the quote.
 
Back
Top