What should a genuinely useful conveyancing service include in France for a €1,104,000 small multifamily?

otis.elm

Buyer
Established
I’m comparing what is being sold as “conveyancing” for a small multifamily in Paris priced around €1,104,000. Some services appear to include negotiation and document coordination, while others provide little beyond an introduction.

Before appointing anyone, I want to know what should be written into the scope: response times, full fees and exclusions, local knowledge, document tracking, and one named person accountable from offer through closing. How should responsibilities be divided between the service, agent and notaire? I’d value practical French examples rather than a sales pitch.
 
Start by separating the notaire’s formal role from the additional work being marketed to you. The quote should say who reviews incoming information, raises questions, tracks unresolved items, coordinates deadlines and reports back to you. “Coordination” is too vague unless it names deliverables and exclusions.

I would also ask whether fees change if negotiations continue, documents arrive late or the transaction fails before closing. Get the answers in writing, including a response target and escalation contact.
 
One important missing fact: is the building vacant, fully occupied or mixed? For a multifamily property, the service may need to track tenancy and unit-level material as well as the building documents. Ask for a sample checklist with sensitive details removed. That will reveal more than claims about local expertise.
 
I’d be cautious about expecting one adviser to be “accountable” for every stage. Several parties may control different tasks, so a single contact cannot necessarily guarantee every deadline. What they can provide is a clear trail showing what was requested, from whom, when it is due and what remains unanswered.

Make a comparison table for each quote: included work, named contact, reply target, fixed and variable fees, exclusions, document list, escalation route and cancellation terms. Also decide your fallback if nobody responds near an offer deadline—contact the notaire directly, pause, or decline to proceed until the point is resolved.
 
Back
Top