What should a conveyancing quote cover for a $1.39m New York retail unit?

First time buying a New York retail unit, around $1,390,000. I’m comparing services described as “conveyancing,” but the scopes vary wildly: some include negotiation and document coordination, while others appear to end with an introduction.

What should I reasonably expect between offer and closing? I want the quote to spell out fees, response times, local expertise, document responsibilities and who stays accountable if something stalls. Specific New York examples or a practical scope checklist would be more helpful than a sales pitch.
 
At that price, I would not accept “conveyancing” as a sufficient description. Ask for a written task list covering contract negotiation, title and survey coordination, review of the retail unit’s occupancy or lease position, closing documents, funds and post-closing items. It should also identify exclusions, third-party charges, the person handling the file and expected turnaround for routine questions. In New York, confirm directly which work will be handled by an attorney.
 
Is the unit vacant, owner-occupied, or being sold with a tenant? That changes the document trail and the questions that need answering. Also, are you financing it? A lender introduces its own deadlines and requirements.

I’d ask each provider to map responsibility from accepted offer to closing. If they only make an introduction, who chases missing documents, reports problems and keeps the parties aligned?
 
A detailed scope is useful, but promised response times can create false comfort if there is no escalation route. Ask what happens when the named contact is unavailable or a deadline slips.

Before choosing, send every candidate the same short scenario and request an itemized quote: included work, exclusions, estimated outside costs, payment timing and the point at which extra fees begin. Then have a New York commercial property attorney confirm that the proposed scope fits this particular retail transaction rather than relying on the service label.
 
Back
Top