What completing my first New York new-build purchase taught me

wren_tools

Homeowner
The surprising part was how much the unsuccessful offers clarified which terms mattered, not just the price. I have now completed my first New York new-build flat purchase, following a document process that took far longer than I had anticipated.

My main lessons were to retain enough cash with the lease length in mind and, after acceptance, establish who is responsible for every outstanding task. For those who have completed a first purchase, which practical issue only became clear while the transaction was under way?
 
Keep more cash after closing than the neat pre-purchase budget suggests. The final document week, moving dates and any inspection items can all collide, while lender timing may still shift. I’d avoid making irreversible moving arrangements until every party confirms what remains outstanding and who is handling it.
 
I’d qualify the point about rejected offers: they are only useful data if you learn why they failed. Otherwise it is easy to draw the wrong conclusion about price when timing or terms may have mattered.

Also, what do you mean by preserving cash for the lease length in this particular purchase? Was that connected to an unexpected fee, or simply a longer-term reserve? That distinction would help other New York buyers understand the lesson.
 
Back
Top