Warsaw villa at 3.4% gross yield — which costs am I missing?

handy_page

Property investor
Established
The practical constraint is that PLN 3,628 a month does not leave much room for error on a PLN 1,264,000 purchase. We are looking at a 3-bed villa in Warsaw, and the projected rent gives a gross yield of about 3.4% before acquisition and running expenses.

I have allowed for empty periods, agent management, ordinary upkeep and a separate sum for major work. That still assumes the quoted rent is achievable and that tenant changes are fairly smooth; either assumption could be wrong. Insurance and property tax are not yet firm, and I also need to establish whether there is any compulsory estate or shared maintenance charge.

Which cost tends to be missed most often with a Warsaw villa: turnover between tenants, exterior and heating work, management, tax, or something else? I’d also be interested in what evidence people would want for the PLN 3,628 rent before using it in a net-yield calculation.
 
The first problem is not a hidden Warsaw expense; it is the thin starting yield. Annual rent is PLN 43,536, so every allowance pushes the return noticeably below 3.4%.

For a villa, I would scrutinise roof, heating, exterior maintenance, garden or grounds, insurance and periods between tenants. Also clarify whether “building reserves” means a mandatory shared charge or merely your own repair fund.
 
One more missing fact: is PLN 3,628 supported by comparable signed rents, or is it the listing agent's expectation? The answer matters more than fine-tuning the maintenance percentage. I would also run the financing at a higher interest cost and with one longer vacancy, rather than assuming each new tenant follows immediately.
 
I partly disagree that the yield alone settles it. A low-yield property can still fit someone seeking a long holding period, low leverage or eventual personal use. But it should not be presented as strong current income.

Before deciding, separate costs paid by the tenant from those retained by the owner. Heating and other utilities can distort the apparent rent if the PLN 3,628 figure includes anything that is later paid out.
 
Build three cases rather than one: full expected rent, reduced rent, and a vacancy-plus-major-repair year. Include purchase costs in the capital invested, not just PLN 1,264,000. Then list management, insurance, property tax, routine work, turnover preparation and any shared charges separately. That will show whether the deal survives without relying on future price growth.
 
Tenant turnover deserves more attention with a 3-bed villa than a simple annual vacancy percentage suggests. A changeover can combine empty weeks, cleaning, minor repairs and marketing at the same time. Ask for the tenancy history if available: previous achieved rent, lease length, gaps and why the last occupant left. Without that, PLN 3,628 is still an assumption.
 
My practical threshold would be deal-specific, but I would not accept a very thin net return merely because the headline says 3.4% gross. Net yield cannot improve after genuine expenses, and financing can turn modest operating income into negative cash flow.

I would proceed only after confirming the rent evidence, exact owner-paid charges and repair exposure. Otherwise the sensible next step is a lower offer or comparison with alternatives offering more margin.
 
Back
Top