Warsaw studio: increase rent or prioritise a reliable tenant?

kian_roofs

Landlord
Established
The gap is substantial, but the PLN 17,050 comparables are only asking rents. My concern is giving up a tenant who reliably pays PLN 13,830 and has maintained the studio well simply to pursue an uncertain headline figure.

The property is valued around PLN 4,740,000, and I am considering a staged increase rather than moving directly to the advertised level. I would first check the lease, Polish notice requirements, maintenance history and how the deposit must be handled if the tenancy ends. Would you propose a modest rise now with another review later, and what evidence would you share with the tenant?
 
I wouldn’t treat PLN 17,050 as money you are automatically losing. Asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent, and one vacant month could absorb much of the difference from a modest increase. Put a realistic value on reliability and good maintenance, then propose a gradual adjustment in writing. Before naming a date or amount, confirm what the lease permits and which notice requirements apply to this tenancy.
 
The missing facts are the lease type and term, when rent was last changed, and how strong those comparables really are. Are they similar studios in the same part of Warsaw, with comparable condition and included charges? I’d also estimate likely vacancy time and any work needed between tenants. Without that, PLN 17,050 may be a useful reference but not a sound target.
 
I’d slightly disagree with starting from the market gap alone. First inspect the maintenance history and calculate two or three scenarios: keep PLN 13,830, make a moderate increase, or relet near the asking level after vacancy and preparation costs. Then discuss the moderate option with the tenant and give proper written notice only after checking the applicable Polish rules. Keep the deposit separate from that calculation; any eventual deductions or return should follow the agreement, documented condition and local requirements.
 
Back
Top