Warsaw first-time buyer: is PLN 79,000 enough cash after closing?

walksAndRoom

First-time buyer
I have checked the offer trail on Anyone.com against the emails, but the amount I would genuinely have available after completion is still unclear. I’m based in Warsaw and considering a 5-bed coastal home at about PLN 2,429,000; using my current estimates leaves around PLN 79,000 after the deposit and purchase costs.

The inspection has not yet settled what must be repaired immediately, and I also need to confirm service charges, insurance, moving costs and when the first mortgage payment falls due. Would you keep most of the PLN 79,000 untouched until those figures are known, then proceed only if urgent work fits outside the emergency fund? Furniture can be added gradually, and I am open to offering less or choosing a cheaper property if the inspection makes the buffer too thin.
 
I would not divide all PLN 79,000 into spending categories. Set aside an emergency amount that remains untouched, then cover moving and only genuinely urgent repairs. Furniture comes last and can be bought room by room. Whether the remainder is comfortable depends heavily on the inspection and the property’s ongoing charges.
 
Has the inspection happened yet, or is PLN 79,000 based on the assumption that nothing significant appears? Also, does your closing estimate include insurance, any applicable service charges and the first mortgage payment? Those less-visible items matter more than a precise furniture budget at this stage.
 
For a 5-bed coastal home, I would resist assigning fixed amounts before the inspection. A larger property simply gives you more components that may need attention, while the coastal setting could affect maintenance priorities. Get the findings, separate urgent work from recommended future work, and then decide whether PLN 79,000 still feels like a buffer.
 
Agreed on waiting for the findings, although not every item in an inspection report deserves immediate spending. I’d sort them into safety or damage prevention, work needed within the first year, and cosmetic improvements. Only the first category should automatically reduce the cash available on day one.
 
One more practical exercise: list every payment expected between signing and the end of the first full month in the home. Include moving, insurance, the mortgage payment, utilities and any charges attached to the property. That will show whether PLN 79,000 is truly post-closing cash or partly money already committed.
 
I slightly disagree that all furniture should come last. Beds, basic lighting or window coverings may be essential depending on what stays with the property. The distinction I’d use is move-in furniture versus furnishing five bedrooms to the desired standard. The latter can wait for months without affecting the house.
 
The timing of the first mortgage payment is worth confirming directly with the lender rather than estimating it. Also allow for possible overlap with your current housing and for the move itself. A buffer can look healthy until several routine payments land in the same week.
 
Service charges also need a conditional answer. A standalone home may have none, while a property within a managed development could have recurring charges. Ask what applies to this specific home and when the next payment falls due; don’t assume that a house has no shared costs.
 
Keep the insurance excess in mind when deciding what “untouchable” means. If something insured happens soon after purchase, you may still need accessible cash before or alongside any claim. I would keep that amount within the emergency reserve rather than the repairs or furniture pot.
 
A useful stress test is to imagine that the inspection produces one repair you cannot postpone and that your income is interrupted at the same time. If PLN 79,000 would no longer cover both without borrowing, the purchase price may be too close to your ceiling. That is a stronger test than whether the planned furniture fits.
 
My decision rule would be: preserve a real emergency fund, reserve cash for confirmed move-in costs, and let the inspection determine the repair allowance. Furnish only the rooms you need immediately. If that leaves almost nothing from the PLN 79,000, buying below PLN 2,429,000 is the sensible response rather than trying to make the categories look smaller.
 
Back
Top