Warsaw duplex at PLN 4,286,000 and PLN 30,600/month — sanity check after 95 days

kit_escrow

Landlord
Established
The service-charge question has shifted my attention away from the purchase price. I have spent 95 days examining a Warsaw 2-bed duplex at PLN 4,286,000, with expected rent of PLN 30,600 a month. That produces an attractive-looking gross yield of roughly 8.6%, but it says little about the return I would actually keep.

The property seems sound, and I have modelled empty periods, tenant changes, management and repairs. Insurance and owner-paid building costs are less clear, as is whether PLN 30,600 is a reliably achievable rent. For a first rental, which assumption deserves the hardest challenge, and what net return would justify taking those risks?
 
Start by establishing exactly what the PLN 30,600 includes and which service charges remain with the owner. A cost described as recoverable from the tenant is not the same as guaranteed rent, especially during vacancy or a dispute over consumption. I’d also put insurance and property tax into separate lines rather than hiding them inside maintenance.
 
What does the 95 days refer to—the time you have been analysing the deal, or the time the property has been marketed? If it is market exposure, that may matter more than one missing expense.

Also, is this a cash purchase or financed? A plausible net yield can still produce uncomfortable cash flow if borrowing costs move or tenant turnover creates a gap.
 
I wouldn’t choose a target net yield until the rent itself has been tested. PLN 30,600 may be achievable, but the whole case depends heavily on one tenant paying that amount for a 2-bed unit.

Ask for an itemised service-charge history, confirm what the tenant would actually pay, obtain an insurance figure, verify the applicable property tax, and run lower-rent and longer-vacancy cases. For a first rental, concentration and turnover risk may be more important than finding one Warsaw-specific overlooked fee.
 
Back
Top