Warsaw country home at PLN 4,839,000 and PLN 34,560/month — does the rental case hold up?

anchor.honest

Real estate agent
Established
The headline return looks strong, but property tax is the cost I cannot yet pin down. This would be our first rental: a 2-bed country home in Warsaw priced at PLN 4,839,000, with projected rent of PLN 34,560 per month and a gross yield near 8.6%.

I have allowed for empty periods, agent charges, ordinary upkeep and a substantial repair, although that still may not capture the cost of changing tenants. For example, one departure could mean lost rent, cleaning, marketing and furnishing replacement at the same time.

Besides confirming that the rent is achievable, which local charges or property-specific obligations should I investigate before calculating net yield? I am trying to decide what return would be sufficient after tax, management and realistic turnover costs.
 
Tenant turnover may be the bigger blind spot than ordinary vacancy. A change of tenant can combine an empty period, management or marketing costs, cleaning, minor repairs and replacement of damaged furnishings. I’d model turnover as a separate event rather than assuming the vacancy allowance covers everything.
 
How firm is the PLN 34,560 rent? Is it supported by an existing lease, comparable signed rents, or merely an agent’s expectation? That answer matters more than fine-tuning the maintenance percentage. Also, is the home furnished, and are any utilities, garden work or other upkeep included in that figure?
 
I wouldn’t start by choosing an acceptable net yield. First establish the all-in capital committed and the repeatable rent. An 8.6% gross yield can look attractive, but if the asking rent requires unusually low vacancy or high spending between tenants, the headline number is doing too much work.

Property tax should be taken from the actual bill or confirmed for this specific property and use, not estimated from a generic Warsaw figure.
 
A simple stress test would help. Annual rent is PLN 414,720. If vacancy, management, maintenance, insurance, property tax and turnover together consume 25%, the pre-financing return falls to roughly 6.4% on the purchase price. That is only an illustration, but run the same calculation at several cost levels and with rent 10% lower.
 
Don’t leave insurance as a token line item. Get a quote based on rental use and the actual building rather than carrying over an owner-occupier assumption. I’d also separate predictable annual maintenance from low-frequency building work; one combined reserve can hide whether a single major repair would exhaust several years of cash flow.
 
Financing could decide this even if the property-level numbers work. Model the loan payment at the offered terms, then at a higher refinancing cost, while also allowing for one turnover event and a major repair in the same year. Before proceeding, I’d want four items in writing: evidence for PLN 34,560 rent, the latest property-tax amount, an insurance quote and a realistic management proposal.
 
Back
Top