Warsaw: choosing between a 175 m² villa and a similarly priced townhouse

path.wild

Property investor
I’m deciding between a 175 m² villa and a similarly priced townhouse in Warsaw. On the information available, the villa looks simpler to maintain, while the townhouse seems to offer more control but could bring larger irregular bills.

My model includes energy use, insurance, shared-building reserves and resale liquidity. I’m also considering tenant demand, vacancy risk and management workload in case it is rented later. Which assumptions should I test before choosing, and what tends to become expensive only after the first year?
 
First establish exactly what is shared in each property. “Townhouse” alone does not tell you who pays for the roof, exterior, access areas or common services, while a villa may leave every repair with one owner. Ask for the townhouse’s contribution history, current reserve position and planned works. Without that, the comparison between regular fees and irregular costs is mostly guesswork.
 
I’d also question the assumption that the villa is simpler. It may involve fewer shared decisions, but that is not the same as less maintenance or management. At 175 m², heating and vacancy-period energy costs could materially change the picture depending on each building’s condition.

Is this mainly a home, or does future letting carry equal weight? A townhouse and villa may attract different tenant pools, so resale liquidity and rental demand should be assessed separately.
 
I wouldn’t let possible tenant demand drive the choice unless renting is genuinely likely. Start with comparable annual budgets for both, then add separate allowances for low-frequency items: roof and exterior work, heating equipment, drainage, insurance exclusions and any shared-area projects. Finally, ask local agents how long genuinely comparable Warsaw properties take to sell—not just what asking prices appear online. That should expose whether control, predictable cash flow or ease of exit matters most.
 
Back
Top