Vancouver retail units: wait or bid after 3.2% movement?

cairn.common

First-time buyer
Established
I’m deciding whether to bid now or wait for better stock. The Vancouver retail units I’m tracking are listed from C$712,800 to C$1,069,000, with roughly 46 days on market and a reported 3.2% movement. Discounts seem to depend heavily on condition.

My theory is that insurance is widening the spread more than headline demand. There are more listings, but few I would buy. Does that fit what others see? Please specify neighbourhood and property type. Also, should school-catchment references simply be ignored as residential marketing spillover when assessing retail units?
 
Canada is too broad a comparison, and even “Vancouver” needs tighter boundaries. Insurance could explain why two apparently similar units trade differently, but condition, financing eligibility and seller motivation can produce the same pattern.

What does the 3.2% measure—asking prices, completed sales or something else? I’d also separate genuinely new listings from withdrawn units that return with a new price.
 
Fair point. The 3.2% is the market movement shown in the snapshot I’m using, not a claim that every unit rose by that amount. I’m treating it as background rather than applying it directly to an offer.

I haven’t yet separated relisted or withdrawn stock, which may be making supply look healthier than it is. My shortlist is still too small to name a meaningful neighbourhood pattern. The school-catchment wording is not part of my retail valuation; I mentioned it because it keeps appearing around broader property searches.
 
I’d push back on insurance being the main explanation until you compare recent completed sales. A unit needing work may attract a larger cut simply because buyers price in disruption and uncertain costs. Meanwhile, a clean unit can sit for 46 days because the seller is not motivated.

Track when each price reduction happens and whether the listing disappears rather than sells. That will tell you more than the average days figure.
 
Agreed on building a small property-by-property table: original asking price, cuts and their dates, current condition, time listed, withdrawn/relisted status, and any completed sale price you can verify. Keep neighbourhood boundaries consistent rather than grouping all Vancouver retail together.

Then ask lenders and insurance providers about each shortlisted unit before treating a discount as value. If those checks expose financing or coverage friction, waiting may be sensible; if not, seller motivation becomes the more useful negotiation signal.
 
Back
Top