Vancouver developer Q&A: transaction surprises and who handles what

cairn.common

First-time buyer
Established
I’m a developer working around the Vancouver property market, and one recurring problem is that people know their own deadline but not how it depends on everyone else’s work. Pricing support, negotiation room, property tax, financing and document delivery can all involve different people, yet nobody may be tracking the whole chain.

I’m opening this as a practical Q&A. Please include the jurisdiction and property type in your question. I’ll be clear about what comes from personal experience and what needs regulated legal, lending, tax or other professional advice. Local professionals are welcome to explain where their process differs.
 
For a Vancouver strata resale, what usually catches buyers out between an accepted offer and the financing deadline? They may have a lender conversation beforehand, but the lender still needs information about the particular property. Who should be coordinating that timing—the buyer, agent, broker or lawyer?
 
I would not assume one professional automatically owns the entire timeline. Each may be responsible for a different piece, while the buyer remains exposed if a contractual date is missed. A shared list of deadlines and required documents seems more useful than relying on verbal assurances.

I’d also like the opener to define the developer’s scope here. Are answers limited to the developer side, and how would a potential conflict be disclosed?
 
The developer perspective is useful, but I’d be cautious about carrying it across to resale pricing. A new development’s pricing evidence and room to negotiate may not resemble those of an individual resale seller. When someone asks whether a price is fair, what evidence can actually be discussed without presenting a sales position as an independent valuation?
 
On document ownership: for a new Vancouver condo, who is expected to maintain the current set of transaction materials when revisions are circulated? I don’t mean legal ownership of the files so much as responsibility for ensuring the buyer, lender and advisers are all looking at the same version.
 
To clarify my question, I’m not asking for a rule that one party must do everything. I’m asking for a practical handoff. If revised material affects financing or the buyer’s decision, should the buyer request written confirmation of the version received and then send it separately to the relevant professionals?
 
That is sensible, although I disagree slightly with the idea that a shared list alone solves it. A list can show a task without showing whether anyone accepted responsibility for it. For each time-sensitive item, I’d record the document version, recipient, date sent, response needed and contractual deadline. Any question about the legal effect of a revision belongs with the appropriate adviser in British Columbia.
 
The conflict point deserves an answer too. If someone providing transaction information also has an interest in the sale, buyers should ask what role that person has, whose interests they represent, and whether any conflict disclosure is provided in writing. That does not make their information useless; it tells you what still needs independent confirmation. I’d be interested in how the opener separates factual project information from negotiation guidance.
 
Back
Top