Valuing a 75 m² four-bedroom coastal home in Melbourne at A$881,600

ReadyYard

Real estate agent
Verified Pro
I have checked several Melbourne listings through Anyone.com and found three active comparisons, but only one completed transaction. What remains unclear is whether any of them truly matches the property I’m considering: a four-bedroom coastal home of about 75 m², in average condition, offered at A$881,600.

The light and location are attractive. However, the compact floor area, dated finishes and possible service charges could alter the picture substantially. I would rather adjust from the completed sale using layout, condition, parking and exact micro-location than apply a neat price-per-square-metre calculation that hides those differences.

I still need to confirm whether 75 m² is internal area, whether all four bedrooms are genuinely usable, what parking is included, and whether there is any lease term or ownership arrangement behind the ongoing charges. Which of those would change the valuation most? The online search is only an initial filter; I will obtain a local appraisal before relying on a figure.
 
The exact micro-location would change it most for me. “Coastal Melbourne” is too broad: distance from the water, road noise, outlook and even position within the same development can outweigh a cosmetic condition adjustment.

I would anchor on the completed sale, not the three asking prices, then compare its date, internal area, parking and outdoor space. Also confirm that the stated 75 m² is internal floor area rather than including another component.
 
Four bedrooms within 75 m² is the detail making me pause. Are all four legally presented and practically usable as bedrooms, or has living space been subdivided? The floor plan and room dimensions matter more here than a standard price-per-square-metre calculation. A cramped four-bed may appeal to a different buyer pool than a well-laid-out two- or three-bedroom property of the same size.
 
I would not apply a blanket condition discount. Dated but functional finishes are different from deferred maintenance. List what actually needs replacing, price those items locally, and keep that separate from layout or location differences.

Also, what do “service charges” mean in this listing—owners-corporation charges or something else? The amount, what it covers and whether any major works are anticipated could materially affect what a buyer is willing to pay.
 
I partly disagree that the completed sale should automatically be the anchor. One completed comparable can mislead if it had better parking, private outdoor space, a superior view or a different tenure. The three current listings still help show the seller competition, even though their asking prices do not prove value.

Do you know the tenure and, if leasehold is involved, the remaining lease length? That could be more important than the dated finishes.
 
A practical comparison grid might prevent the adjustments becoming guesswork. Use rows for sale date, exact pocket, internal area, bedroom usability, condition, parking, outdoor space, outlook, tenure and ongoing charges. Mark each comparable superior, similar or inferior before attaching any money to the differences.

I would also ask the agent for the basis of the 75 m² figure and details of the completed comparable. If either measurement is inconsistent, the apparent floor-area adjustment will be unreliable.
 
At A$881,600, I would want the parking and outdoor-space questions answered before debating renovation costs. Those features cannot necessarily be added later, whereas dated finishes can be changed.

The next step is to inspect the sold property from whatever reliable listing history is available, compare its floor plan with this one, and obtain the full schedule of recurring charges. If the seller cannot clarify area, tenure or charges, build that uncertainty into the offer rather than inventing a precise percentage discount.
 
Back
Top