Valuing a 650 sq ft three-bed new-build flat in Birmingham at £643,500

alba.cane

Landlord
The seller wants £643,500, but I am struggling to reconcile that figure with a three-bedroom layout squeezed into about 650 sq ft. This is a Birmingham new-build flat with good light and location, although the finishes already appear dated and the general condition is only average.

There is one completed comparable and three current listings. I can adjust broadly for size and condition, but a precise price-per-square-foot calculation seems misleading when layout efficiency may differ so much. Parking, outdoor space, exact micro-location, lease length, service charge and the source of the insurance concern are still unknown. Which of those would alter the decision most sharply? I will also seek a local appraisal before acting on a valuation.
 
Using the single completed sale sounds safer than averaging three asking prices, but neither approach is strong until the properties are matched properly. I would compare the sale date, floor, light, parking, outdoor space and lease terms before making any area adjustment.

The three-bedroom label is especially questionable at 650 sq ft: usable rooms may matter more to buyers than the nominal bedroom count. The fact most likely to change my view is the recurring service charge and exactly what it covers, followed closely by whether parking is included.
 
Lease length could change the picture more sharply than cosmetic condition. I’d also want the service-charge accounts or at least a proper breakdown, especially if insurance is the concern. “Possible insurance costs” is too vague to price: is the worry based on the current building-insurance contribution, anticipated works, or simply uncertainty? Those are different valuation issues.
 
Agreed that the insurance point needs separating out. I’d build a comparison table with the completed sale first, then note sale date, internal area, floor, aspect, parking, balcony or terrace, lease length and recurring charges. Only adjust for dated finishes after those larger differences. A broad generic condition deduction could easily double-count something already reflected in the comparable.
 
I’m less convinced that the completed sale should automatically dominate. One transaction can be unusual, and a nearby flat may still be a poor comparable if it sits in a different building or part of the development. Micro-location and outlook can materially affect buyer interest. I’d use the sale as an anchor, but test whether the three current listings have been reduced or are simply sitting unsold.
 
That’s fair. The practical route is to calculate an implied £/sq ft for all four comparables, but not apply it mechanically. Add separate columns for effective bedroom sizes and layout quality, because 650 sq ft arranged as three bedrooms may compete differently from the same area arranged as two. Then run scenarios for no parking versus parking, no outdoor space versus outdoor space, and the known service charge rather than one headline adjustment.
 
I’d prioritise the missing information in this order: exact building and position within it, completed-sale details, service charge and insurance breakdown, lease length, then parking and outdoor space. Condition comes later unless the finishes require substantial work. Also ask the local appraiser to explain which evidence supports the figure, rather than accepting a single number; with only one completed comparable, the reasonable valuation range may be more useful than a precise estimate.
 
Back
Top