Valuation check on a €1.214m Lisbon duplex before buying to rent

SmallChart

Landlord
Established
I have checked three current listings and one completed transaction, but I still cannot tell whether they are genuinely comparable to this property. It is a 170 m², 4-bed Lisbon duplex asking €1,214,000. The light and location appeal to us, while the dated finishes and uncertain refurbishment bill pull the other way.

Rather than applying a neat percentage discount for average condition, would you price the cosmetic work separately and make any offer conditional on firmer contractor estimates? I also need to confirm how the floor area is measured. Of the remaining details—exact street position, service charges, parking, outdoor space or an existing lease—which could justify the largest adjustment? A local appraisal will follow, but I want to identify the weak assumptions first.
 
The headline figure is about €7,141 per m², but I would not apply a generic condition discount to it. Start with the completed sale, confirm both properties use comparable floor-area definitions, then separate cosmetic updating from work that needs actual contractor estimates. Exact micro-location may matter more than a small size adjustment in Lisbon. The three asking comparables show seller expectations, not where deals close.
 
What does the 170 m² include? Duplex listings can become difficult to compare if terraces, storage or other areas are counted differently. I’d also want to know whether there is parking, usable outdoor space and an existing lease with time remaining. Those are not details I would bury in one blended per-square-metre adjustment. Service charges also affect the rental calculation even if they do not translate directly into the same reduction in market value.
 
I partly disagree that micro-location is necessarily the biggest missing fact. For a homebuyer valuation, perhaps; for a first rental, the achievable rent, current occupancy and lease length could change the decision more sharply. A property can be fairly priced and still be a weak rental once service charges and dated-condition spending are included. Keep two calculations: likely market value and the separate all-in rental case.
 
If market value and rental viability are blended together, it would be easy to pay a fair price for the wrong investment. The missing fact for me is the current occupancy and, if there is a tenant, the remaining lease length and achievable rent. That could change the answer more than a broad condition grade.

I would still put the completed sale and three listings into one table using consistent floor area, exact position, parking, outdoor space and service charges. Keep refurbishment costs on separate lines rather than hiding them inside one percentage adjustment.

Then make the decision in stages: first establish a defensible value range, and only proceed with an offer if the lease details, service charges and firmer renovation estimates also support the rental case. A local appraiser can help identify which differences completed Lisbon transactions actually reflect.
 
Back
Top