Valuation check: €1,201,000 for a 130 m² Amsterdam townhouse

EarlyCrane

Real estate agent
Established
Finding only one completed sale changed my view of the three current listings; they are useful context, but not strong evidence that buyers will pay those figures.

The property is a three-bedroom Amsterdam townhouse of roughly 130 m², offered at €1,201,000. Its light and location appeal to me, while the dated interior and potential energy work pull the other way. I am unsure whether to deduct estimated renovation costs directly or apply a broader condition adjustment, and extra floor area may not deserve the average price per square metre.

Parking arrangements and any lease-length or tenure issue could also move the value materially. How would you weight the single closed transaction against closer asking-price comparisons? I am using a no-growth base case and will have the property appraised locally before making a final commitment.
 
My main uncertainty is how much authority to give that single completed sale. Would you anchor on a less similar completed transaction, or give more weight to closer current listings while discounting them because they are only asking prices? I’m trying not to create false precision from a thin comparable set.
 
Use the completed sale as the starting anchor, but not as the answer. The three listings show seller expectations, not cleared prices. For condition, I’d avoid a generic percentage and deduct a low/base/high estimate for the actual work plus disruption. For floor area, compare implied price per m², then remember that extra metres are not necessarily worth the property-wide average. The missing fact I’d want first is the exact micro-location.
 
I disagree that the completed sale should automatically be the anchor. In Amsterdam, a materially different street position, outlook or immediate surroundings could make a nearby listing more informative than a closed sale elsewhere. The asking price is roughly €9,238 per m², so modest assumptions matter. Before adjusting anything, clarify outdoor space, parking, whether there is leasehold and its relevant terms, and any recurring service charges.
 
I’d build a simple comparison table and adjust each property in the same order: transaction status, micro-location, usable floor area, layout, condition, light, outdoor space, parking, tenure and recurring charges. Keep separate low, central and high cases rather than forcing one number. For the dated finishes, use estimated work costs rather than a broad “average condition” haircut. Also check whether the possible energy costs overlap with the refurbishment allowance, otherwise you may deduct them twice.
 
The three-bedroom layout matters too: 130 m² arranged efficiently can compare differently from the same area with awkward circulation or unusable space. My practical next step would be to verify the measured area and obtain more detail on energy performance, tenure, outdoor space and parking before refining the range. On the facts given, I wouldn’t call €1,201,000 clearly high or low; micro-location and lease terms could move the conclusion more than a blanket floor-area adjustment.
 
Back
Top