Valuation check: 95 m² new-build flat in Rome, asking €1,201,000 (4 bed)

travelsAndGrove

Property investor
Established
I would like the €1,201,000 price to be supportable, but the evidence is too uneven at present. The Rome flat is described as a new-build, yet its finishes look dated, and I have only one completed sale against three current listings.

It is a 4-bed of about 95 m² with good light and a strong location. Rather than apply one automatic €/m² discount, I am considering separate condition cases and checking whether every property uses the same measurement basis. Details of outdoor space, occupancy or lease length, service charges and the actual age or completion status could alter the comparison substantially.

For an income view I have assumed eleven rented months, though the allowance for repairs may be optimistic. Which unknown would you resolve first, and how would you grade the condition differences before taking the evidence to a local appraiser?
 
I would give the completed sale substantially more weight than the three listings. For condition, test scenarios rather than choosing one precise deduction: no adjustment, a modest deduction around 5%, and a heavier one around 10%, then identify what work supports each case. Floor area should not be adjusted mechanically because smaller flats can have a different price per m². The exact micro-location of the sold comparable would change my view most.
 
Before adjusting anything, confirm that all four properties measure area on the same basis. A 95 m² headline figure may not be directly comparable if balconies, shared areas or other spaces are treated differently.

Also, “new-build” and “dated finishes” pull in opposite directions. Is new-build simply the listing description? I’d want the building age, completion status, service charges and details of any parking or outdoor space.
 
That tension is part of my concern: it is presented as a new-build, but the finishes do not support treating it as pristine. I also haven’t established whether the 95 m² is measured on the same basis as the comparables. I’ll separate the flat, parking and outdoor-space elements rather than assuming they are bundled consistently, and request the service-charge breakdown.
 
I’m not convinced a percentage condition deduction is reliable at this price. Two buyers can value the same dated kitchen very differently, while a poor layout is not fixed by a refurbishment budget. Start from the completed comparable and explain each difference in euros where possible: location, floor, light, usable internal area, terrace and parking. If too many adjustments are required, it may simply be the wrong comparable.
 
On the income side, using eleven months of rent deals with some vacancy risk, but it does not solve the repair-reserve issue. Build a short list of likely near-term work from the observed condition and keep that separate from recurring service charges and property taxes. Otherwise one generous rent assumption or underestimated expense can make the asking price look more defensible than it is.
 
Agreed on separating components. Parking is especially capable of distorting a €/m² comparison because one listing may include it without assigning a value. The same applies to meaningful outdoor space. I’d ask for the completed sale’s full configuration and compare the flat-only figures first; only then add reasonable scenario values for the extras.
 
Getting the comparison wrong could make €1,201,000 look reasonable only because unlike items have been bundled together. A single €/m² answer is tempting, but I would first put the completed sale and the three listings into a simple comparison grid.

Record the area definition, micro-location, floor, lift, light, condition grade, parking, outdoor space, charges and occupancy. Leave blanks where information is unavailable. Then calculate low, middle and upper cases; if the asking price survives only the most favourable assumptions, the risk is clear.
 
One more potentially decisive fact is whether there is an existing tenancy and, if so, its remaining lease length and terms. That affects how useful the eleven-month rent model is and whether a buyer can treat the flat as immediately available. Tax treatment and transaction costs can also depend on the buyer and circumstances in Italy, so those should be confirmed locally rather than folded into a generic condition adjustment.
 
Back
Top