Valuation check: 910 sq ft serviced apartment in London at £1,096,000

makeTheCanvas

Property investor
Established
Using the three asking comparables feels too generous, while relying on one completed sale feels too fragile. The subject is a 2-bed London serviced apartment of about 910 sq ft, listed for 15 days at £1,096,000 and described as being in average condition. That is roughly £1,204 per sq ft before any adjustment.

I would not make an offer until I know how close the completed property really is in building, floor level, light and service arrangement. The remaining lease length could set a hard limit on value and finance, while outdoor space and dated finishes may support more modest adjustments. Would you price the refurbishment work first and make any offer conditional on the lease and service-charge information, rather than choosing a blanket percentage discount?
 
The completed sale should carry much more weight than the three asking prices, provided it is genuinely comparable. I would not adjust floor area mechanically: larger flats often do not maintain exactly the same price per sq ft. For condition, use an estimated refurbishment cost plus some allowance for disruption rather than an unsupported percentage. My biggest missing fact is the remaining lease length.
 
How close is the completed comparable—same building, same street, or merely the same postcode? Also, did it have similar light, floor level, outdoor space and service arrangements? In London, a short physical distance can still mean a materially different micro-location. I would also want the annual service charge and clarity on what “serviced apartment” means in this particular building.
 
Agreed on micro-location. If the completed sale is in the same building, I’d first reconcile floor, outlook and condition, then consider size. If it is outside the development, building quality and management costs may overwhelm any floor-area adjustment. The sale date matters too; one old transaction is not automatically a reliable anchor just because it completed.
 
I’m less convinced that lease length is automatically the biggest unknown here. For a serviced apartment, service charges and any use restrictions could alter the buyer pool and monthly affordability more immediately. Two nominally similar 910 sq ft flats can justify different prices if one carries substantially less attractive ongoing obligations. I’d request the full recurring-cost breakdown before debating a condition discount.
 
Parking and private outdoor space also need to be separated rather than buried in the per-square-foot figure. If one comparable has either and the subject does not, it may be a poor match even at the same size. And 15 days on the market tells you very little—certainly not enough to treat the asking price as validated or stale.
 
As a provisional working exercise, I’d grade condition rather than just call it “average”: serviceable as-is, cosmetically dated, or requiring major work. A rough 3–8% condition allowance might be useful for sensitivity testing if it is merely dated, but it should not become the valuation conclusion. At £1,096,000 that is already a wide cash range. For size, compare the completed flat’s total price and layout efficiency, not only its implied rate per sq ft.
 
That 3–8% range shows the problem with percentage adjustments: it is roughly £33,000 to £88,000 here, and dated finishes may not support anything close to the upper end. I’d get realistic costs for the visible work, then consider whether buyers would demand an additional inconvenience discount. Insurance, lease terms and charges should remain separate rather than being folded into “condition.”
 
I’d build a simple comparison table with sale date, exact micro-location, floor, outlook, internal area, layout, condition, lease length, service charge, insurance position, parking and outdoor space. Use the completed sale as the starting point, while treating the three listings only as evidence of seller expectations. Resolve the lease and recurring costs first; then price the physical differences. Without those details, £1,204 per sq ft is a description of the asking price, not evidence of value.
 
Back
Top