Valuation check: 860 sq ft Birmingham apartment asking £366,600 (5 bed)

readsAndBirch

Real estate agent
I can either lean on three current asking listings or give heavy weight to a single completed comparable, and neither option feels reliable on its own. The property is a five-bedroom Birmingham apartment of roughly 860 sq ft, in average condition, with an asking price of £366,600. It has good light and a useful location, but dated finishes and potential building-insurance costs concern me.

What details would you establish before adjusting the comparison: the exact street or building, room dimensions, lease length, service charge, parking or outside space? I’m especially unsure whether the five-bedroom layout adds value or simply creates unusually small rooms. For condition, would you use likely work costs rather than a broad percentage adjustment? I’ll still seek a local appraisal before acting on the estimate.
 
The asking price is roughly £426 per sq ft, but I would not apply a standard floor-area percentage from there. Start with the completed sale and establish whether it is genuinely comparable in building, street and layout. Asking prices are supporting evidence, not proof of value.

For condition, use an estimated cost and disruption allowance rather than an arbitrary percentage. Of your missing facts, lease length could alter the comparison most, with service charges and any building insurance cost close behind.
 
How is five bedrooms arranged within 860 sq ft? The floor plan matters here because buyers may value usable room sizes differently from the bedroom count. I’d want dimensions, circulation space and the number of bathrooms before treating it like a typical five-bed.

Also, are any of the comparables five-bed apartments, or are you adjusting from more conventional layouts?
 
I wouldn’t automatically put lease length first, Alejandro. If the completed sale is a few streets away in a materially different micro-location, that mismatch could overwhelm a modest condition adjustment. Same block would be much more persuasive.

Parking and outdoor space should be separated rather than buried in the price-per-square-foot comparison. Otherwise the apparent floor-area adjustment may actually be compensation for amenities.
 
Thanks, this confirms that I’m missing too much to justify a narrow figure. I don’t yet have enough detail on the lease, service charges, insurance position or how closely the completed sale matches the exact micro-location. I’m going back for those, plus the full floor plan and clarity on parking and outdoor space.

I’ll also recast the comparables on a price-per-square-foot basis, but keep the unusual five-bedroom layout visible rather than assuming it earns a premium.
 
A simple comparison grid should help. Put the subject and all four comparables in rows, then record sale or asking price, floor area, exact location, condition, lease length, service charge, parking, outdoor space and layout. Leave cells blank rather than guessing.

Make only one adjustment at a time. If the single completed sale needs corrections for location, condition, size and amenities simultaneously, it is probably too weak to carry the valuation on its own.
 
For condition, I’d build two scenarios rather than force one adjustment: dated but functional, and works needed soon. List what is visibly outdated separately from anything unconfirmed. That prevents a general “average condition” discount from also swallowing possible insurance or building costs.

Floor area deserves similar care. A smaller apartment can command more per square foot, so a straight multiplication from a larger comparable may overstate the deduction.
 
The insurance concern may already appear through the service charge, or it may be a separate uncertainty, so avoid deducting it twice. Ask for a breakdown of what the charge covers and whether there are known upcoming building costs. Those are building-specific points that neighbourhood comparables will not resolve.

I’d also compare total annual occupancy cost, not just the £366,600 headline price.
 
At this stage I don’t think the evidence supports a responsible valuation range. The useful next move is to obtain the missing building information, verify the completed comparable, and ask the local appraiser to explain adjustments rather than only provide a final number.

The five-bed label is the key marketability test: compare both against similar Birmingham apartments by size and against properties buyers seeking five bedrooms might consider. If those two comparisons point in different directions, the layout may narrow the buyer pool rather than add value.
 
Back
Top