Valuation check: 60 m² new-build flat in Paris, asking €579,600?

RightSparrow

Landlord
At €579,600 for 60 m², the valuation has to work before I treat this one-bedroom Paris flat as a viable first rental.

It is described as a new build, yet I would call the current condition only average because some finishes already appear dated. The light and location are the main positives. I may also be overlooking service costs, lease terms or restrictions and expenses affecting rental use.

My evidence consists of three current listings and one recorded transaction. Rather than apply a blanket percentage, would you compare the differences item by item—floor area, immediate street, condition, parking and outdoor space—and give the completed deal the greatest weight? I am particularly unsure whether 60 m² commands a full per-square-metre premium when it remains a one-bedroom layout.

Which missing detail should I establish first? I suspect the exact micro-location and any balcony or terrace matter more than cosmetic finishes, but a costly service arrangement or problematic lease length could change the calculation entirely. I’ll have the property valued locally once those facts are clear.
 
The asking price works out at €9,660 per m². I would start with the completed sale and make the three listings secondary evidence, since their final prices are unknown.

Micro-location would change my view most. Even a close comparable may be misleading if the street, outlook, noise or access is materially different. How close is the completed sale, and does it have similar light?
 
I would not apply a standard condition percentage here. “Average” can mean cosmetic work, or it can hide a kitchen, bathroom and building-level costs that materially affect the numbers. List the differences item by item and estimate what a buyer would actually notice and pay to remedy.

Also, “new-build” and “dated finishes” need reconciling. Is it newly completed, or a relatively recent flat being resold?
 
Agreed on clarifying that description. I would also want the annual service charges before discussing value as a rental. A bright flat can justify more than a dark comparable, but high recurring charges can undo that advantage every year.

Does the €579,600 include parking or outdoor space? If either is present in one comparable but not the other, separate its contribution rather than adjusting the whole €/m² figure.
 
A practical approach would be a small comparison table: completed or merely listed, exact area, floor, light/outlook, condition, parking, outdoor space, service charges and distance from the flat. Use the 60 m² figure consistently and mark unknowns rather than filling them with assumptions. That should reveal whether the single completed sale is genuinely comparable or just the only transaction you found.
 
I disagree slightly with making the completed sale the automatic anchor. It is better evidence of an achieved price, but one transaction can still be the wrong property. If it has a different micro-location, floor or outdoor space, a cluster of closely matched listings may tell you more about current competition—just with an allowance for negotiation uncertainty.
 
For a first rental, I would run a separate income case rather than letting the purchase comparables answer everything. Use the rent you can realistically charge under the applicable Paris rules, then subtract service charges you cannot pass on, maintenance, vacancy assumptions and any work needed for the dated finishes. The relevant rental rules and treatment of charges depend on the exact property and arrangement, so confirm them locally.

If it is already occupied, the remaining lease length and current rent could become more important than a small condition adjustment.
 
The missing detail I would chase first is the exact completed-sale evidence: transaction date, actual floor area and whether parking or outside space was included. A €/m² comparison becomes fragile when bundled extras are not separated. After that, verify whether the advertised 60 m² uses the same area basis as the sale record.
 
You have enough to set a process, but not yet a defensible adjustment range. I would ask the agent for the service-charge breakdown, status of any tenancy, parking/outdoor-space details and clarification of the “new-build” description. Then give the appraiser your completed sale plus the three listings and ask why each is or is not comparable. If the rental cash flow only works at the asking rent and with no allowance for finishes, that is useful warning even before the formal valuation arrives.
 
Back
Top