Valuation check: 540 sq ft coastal home in Montreal, asking C$877,500

zane_reads

Market analyst
Market Reporter
Three bedrooms squeezed into roughly 540 sq ft made me stop treating this as a routine floor-area comparison. If all three rooms are confirmed as usable finished space, the layout could support a different valuation; if they are bedrooms mainly in name, the label adds little.

The Montreal coastal home is listed at C$877,500. It has appealing light and location, although dated finishes and unclear maintenance needs put it in average condition for now. I have one completed transaction and three active listings, so I would start with the closed property and use the listings mainly to gauge seller expectations.

My decision rule is fairly simple: if the interior area and bedroom utility check out, compare the layout directly with the completed sale and deduct the cost of necessary work. If they do not, compare it with properties offering similar genuinely usable space. I also need to establish the property form, micro-location, service charges and any shared maintenance obligations before trusting the range. A local appraisal would still be part of the process.
 
I would anchor on the completed sale and treat the three active listings mainly as evidence of seller expectations. For condition, I’d estimate the actual work needed rather than apply a generic percentage, then include some allowance for uncertainty. At 540 sq ft, layout efficiency matters so much that a simple price-per-square-foot adjustment could mislead.
 
Is 540 sq ft confirmed finished interior area, and does the three-bedroom count reflect three genuinely usable rooms? That combination is unusually tight. I’d also want the exact micro-location and property form. Lease length and service charges could matter if applicable; otherwise maintenance responsibility and shared obligations may be the bigger issue.
 
I’d add parking and private outdoor space before trying to fine-tune a floor-area adjustment. Those features can make two similarly sized homes poor comparables. Also, what did the completed sale include that this property does not? Without that comparison, adjusting its price up or down risks false precision.
 
I partly disagree that renovation cost should drive the full condition adjustment. Buyers may discount dated finishes even when they remain functional, while attractive new finishes do not always recover their cost. I’d grade condition room by room, separating cosmetic updates from uncertain maintenance, and show a valuation range rather than one deduction.
 
With only one closed transaction, I’d build a small comparison table: exact location, sale or asking price, verified interior area, layout, condition, parking, outdoor space, and recurring charges if any. Make adjustments only where the difference is clear. The asking price works out to C$1,625 per sq ft, so even a modest error in the stated area materially changes that comparison.
 
The missing fact most likely to change my view is the precise micro-location, followed closely by confirmation of the 540 sq ft measurement and tenure or ownership structure. Next step: obtain the completed sale details, verify what area was measured, inspect likely maintenance items, and ask the appraiser to explain which comparable differences carry the most weight rather than just supplying a final number.
 
Back
Top